[NatureNS] Help with Finding Plants

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:19:26 -0300

Hi Kristl & All,                Jul 24, 2010
    I doubt that you will find Viburnum edule this side of Northern Cape
Breton (except perhaps in some botanical garden). And it is usually in quite
inaccessible places such as well up the North Aspy River and Cheticamp
River.

    In looking back at records, I see that I collected it one mile up Corney
Brook (#631, Aug 29, 1956, abundant, fruiting, at base of north-facing seepy
cliff).  And the cliff is likely one that can (could then) be seen from the
road. I notice that the dry face had Dryopteris fragrans.

    I understand that there is now a hiking trail up this Brook so getting
there should be an easy walk.

    Some 4 decades ago there was a patch of Sanguisorba canadensis on the
land side of the road to Scots Bay; about where the road first approaches
the sea I think. Those who frequent the Split might notice it.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville