[NatureNS] White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:24:00 -0300

It is a great day here in White Point. I several families of Hummingbirds,
Tree swallows and Northern Flickers as well as Red- Winged Blackbirds and
more Robins and Grackles out and about. It is a real nursery here. Heart
warming.
'Our' swallow house doorway is very busy and I expect there to be young
coming out very soon. Once or twice a day lately all number of Swallows come
along and try to feed the young. Last time I was able to get a count there
were 13. Not counting the barn swallows from down the road. Lately the
residents tenants have taken to blocking the doorway to these incoming
birds. I am very curious about this; why some were allowed to feed and now
not. Also one seems very frantic and tries with what seems to be desperation
to feed the young here then flies to the empty house and great consternation
ensues. I wonder if we have a predated nester or maybe even an empty
nester???
Oh also coming out are the Downy woodpeckers and Chickadees. The wax wings
continue to visit the apple trees most afternoons. A small group and very
quietly buzzing amongst themselves.
Best regards,
Marg Millard

http://MargMillard.ca