[NatureNS] Squirreltown, TUVU, Sanderling and northern mockingbird

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 02:31:11 +0000

--_05df8a1f-ae8c-45ca-a251-92a0e70d23ad_

Hi all:

=20

Just ouside of Middleton is a community called Squirreltown.  From an histo=
rical perspective it would be interesting to know the history of how that n=
ame occurred.

=20

Just outside of Middleton on the road back to Bridgewater and just prior to=
 entering West Nictau there was a turkey vulture circling with two red-tail=
ed hawks.

=20

My friend David Walmark described a bird this morning that he had at Kingsb=
urg Beach which he determined was a northern mockingbird.  I asked him abou=
t the possibility of a northern wheater but he said no.  A beach to me seem=
s like an odd place for a mockingbird to be.  I was down there this evening=
 and checked it out with David=2C but there was no sign of the bird.  There=
 was a sanderling present though in full breeding plumage.  Likely a failed=
 nester which has returned. =20

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport
 		 	   		 =20
Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734386=

--_05df8a1f-ae8c-45ca-a251-92a0e70d23ad_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Just ouside of Middleton is a community called Squirreltown.&nbsp=3B From a=
n historical perspective it would be interesting to know the history of how=
 that name occurred.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Just outside of&nbsp=3BMiddleton on the road back to Bridgewater and just p=
rior to entering West Nictau there was a turkey vulture circling with two r=
ed-tailed hawks.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
My friend David Walmark described a bird this morning that he had at Kingsb=
urg Beach which he determined was a northern mockingbird.&nbsp=3B I asked h=
im about the possibility of a northern wheater but he said no.&nbsp=3B A be=
ach to me seems like an odd place for a mockingbird to be.&nbsp=3B I was do=
wn there this evening and checked it out with David=2C but there was no sig=
n of the bird.&nbsp=3B There was a sanderling present though in full breedi=
ng plumage.&nbsp=3B Likely a failed nester which has returned.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Turn down-time into play-time with Messe=
nger games <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734381' target=3D'=
_new'>Play Now!</a></body>

--_05df8a1f-ae8c-45ca-a251-92a0e70d23ad_--