[NatureNS] Olive-sided Flycatcher and French Basin Trail

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 02:23:06 +0000

--_6b9359fa-38a8-4b0c-9a81-8bdbc3779e12_

Hi all:

=20

The other day at my Caribou Lake Square I came across an olive-sided Flycat=
cher.  NAD83 20T 383589 4930223.

=20

I was at the Pat and I went to the French Basin Trail Today.  (Annapolis Ro=
yal Marsh Trail) We met Laura and Hans Toom in the parking lot and we tried=
 for the Virginia Rails reported there.  We were unsuccessful and only saw =
some sora rails.  We heard a call which could have been from a Virginia rai=
l=2C but when a playback occurs and young are present they run right out an=
d around your feet.  This did not happen.  I went back to the area where we=
 thought the virginia rail was later after walking around the marsh.  I hea=
rd a similar call as before which is similar to what I heard in getting the=
 virginia rail out=2C but it was a sora making the call.  I actually had si=
x adult sora rails.  In the area where the virginia rail was supposed to be=
 I had two adult sora rails only and clearly saw two juvenile sora rails.  =
They were exact miniture replicas of the adults except that they were still=
 all fuzzy.  The whole time that I was present at the marsh I only heard so=
ra rails calling. =20

=20

The two ruddy ducks were still present and there were many juvenile wood du=
cks.  There was still one very young Canada gosling present and I think tha=
t is the first time I've ever been hissed at by Canada Geese as I walked by=
 them.  Two blue-winged teals were nice to see and a nice bunch of green-wi=
nged teal males were a nice treat for me.  Three northern shovelers were al=
so nice.  Lots of other birds abounded.  I had some breeding evidence for o=
ther species=2C but will check the listing to see if the species that I obs=
erved were listed at the level that I found. =20

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport
 		 	   		 =20
Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734385=

--_6b9359fa-38a8-4b0c-9a81-8bdbc3779e12_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The other day at my Caribou Lake Square I came across an olive-sided Flycat=
cher.&nbsp=3B NAD83 20T 383589 4930223.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I was at the Pat and I went to the French Basin Trail Today.&nbsp=3B (Annap=
olis Royal Marsh Trail) We met Laura and Hans Toom in the parking lot and w=
e tried for the Virginia Rails reported there.&nbsp=3B We were unsuccessful=
 and only saw some sora rails.&nbsp=3B We heard a call which could have bee=
n from a Virginia rail=2C but when a playback occurs and young are present =
they run right out and around your feet.&nbsp=3B This did not happen.&nbsp=
=3B I went back to the area where we thought the virginia rail was later af=
ter walking around the marsh.&nbsp=3B I heard a similar call as before whic=
h is similar to what I heard in getting the virginia rail out=2C but it was=
 a sora making the call.&nbsp=3B I actually had six adult sora rails.&nbsp=
=3B In the area where the virginia rail was supposed to be I had two adult =
sora rails only and clearly saw two juvenile sora rails.&nbsp=3B They were =
exact miniture replicas of the adults except that they were still all fuzzy=
.&nbsp=3B The whole time that I was present at the marsh I only heard sora =
rails calling.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The two ruddy ducks were still present and there were many juvenile wood du=
cks.&nbsp=3B There was still one very young Canada gosling present and I th=
ink that is the first time I've ever been hissed at by Canada Geese as I wa=
lked by them.&nbsp=3B Two blue-winged teals were nice to see and a nice bun=
ch of green-winged teal males were a nice treat for me.&nbsp=3B Three north=
ern shovelers were also nice.&nbsp=3B Lots of other birds abounded.&nbsp=3B=
 I had some breeding evidence for other species=2C but will check the listi=
ng to see if the species that I observed were listed at the level that I fo=
und.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Your Photo on Bing.ca: You Could WIN on =
Canada Day! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734380' target=3D=
'_new'>Submit a Photo Now! </a></body>

--_6b9359fa-38a8-4b0c-9a81-8bdbc3779e12_--