[NatureNS] Nocturnal Owl Survey - Guys --> Antigonish

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 09:46:05 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001485f1d92a9e4f950485ec5436

All,

Along with Allison Manthorne, Melanie MacDonald and Martha Palmer, I did my
second Nocturnal Owl Survey (
http://www.bsc-eoc.org/national/nationalowls.html) of the year. I'd have to
check my records, but I'm pretty sure it was my best overall for total
numbers (17 birds, but maybe a repeat or two in there...I still have to
check the maps). We had two G Horned Owls, seven N Saw-whet Owls (three at
one stop!) and the rest Barreds.

I make a point of getting "young ears" out with me on all my owl surveys
because at my "level of chronological seniority", my hearing isn't what it
used to be, and one ear is significantly different from the other in its
ability to pick up sounds (therefore, determining direction is very
difficult for me at times). On last night's survey, if I was alone, I think
I would have got 10 of the owls.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--001485f1d92a9e4f950485ec5436

All,<br clear=3D"all"><br>Along with Allison Manthorne, Melanie MacDonald a=
nd Martha Palmer, I did my second Nocturnal Owl Survey (<a href=3D"http://w=
ww.bsc-eoc.org/national/nationalowls.html">http://www.bsc-eoc.org/national/=
nationalowls.html</a>) of the year. I&#39;d have to check my records, but I=
&#39;m pretty sure it was my best overall for total numbers (17 birds, but =
maybe a repeat or two in there...I still have to check the maps). We had tw=
o G Horned Owls, seven N Saw-whet Owls (three at one stop!) and the rest Ba=
rreds.<div>

 on all my owl surveys because at my &quot;level of chronological seniority=
&quot;, my hearing isn&#39;t what it used to be, and one ear is significant=
ly different from the other in its ability to pick up sounds (therefore, de=
termining direction is very difficult for me at times). On last night&#39;s=
 survey, if I was alone, I think I would have got 10 of the owls.</div>

br>Way in the boonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.<br>

--001485f1d92a9e4f950485ec5436--