[NatureNS] Raven Web Cam

From: Andrew Steeves <andrew@gaspereau.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:19:06 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_IZlob4TB7J5Ki3O/gnqDEw)

The Biology department at Mount Allison University has just put up a web cam that looks down into a raven's nest in a tree beside their building. Ravens has been nesting there for several years. Take a look!

http://www.mta.ca/raven/

I've been remiss in posting to the list this spring as we are distracted with preparations to build on our land in Black River. While I've been out there clearing the road and the opening for the house, hermit thrush and chickadees sing and ruffed grouse drum. My youngest son scampers off to find salamanders. Ravens click their throat songs and a barred owl calls nearby. And last Wednesday night, walking down the boundary line at dusk toward the road, I heard the strangest cooing sound and looked up to discover three pileated woodpeckers chasing around the same tree. The low angle of the sun illuminated and intensified their red markings so that their crests almost appeared to be ablaze.

I have a hunch that I'm going to like being able to living in this landscape, not just visiting it.

Andrew Steeves
Wolfville (for three more weeks)

--Boundary_(ID_IZlob4TB7J5Ki3O/gnqDEw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY
style="WORD-WRAP: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space"
bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Georgia>The Biology department at Mount Allison
University has just put up a web cam that looks down into a raven's nest in a
tree beside their building. Ravens has been nesting there for several years.
Take a look!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Georgia></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>http://www.mta.ca/raven/<BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Georgia>I've been remiss in posting&nbsp;to the list this
spring&nbsp;as we are&nbsp;distracted with&nbsp;preparations to build on our
land in Black River. While I've been out there clearing the road and the opening
for the house, </FONT><FONT size=2 face=Georgia>hermit thrush and chickadees
sing and ruffed grouse drum. <FONT size=2 face=Georgia>My youngest son scampers
off to&nbsp;find salamanders. Ravens click their throat songs and&nbsp;</FONT>a
barred owl calls nearby.&nbsp;And last Wednesday night, walking down the
boundary line at dusk toward the road, I heard the strangest cooing sound and
looked up to discover three pileated woodpeckers&nbsp;chasing around
the&nbsp;same tree. The low angle of the sun&nbsp;illuminated and intensified
their red markings so&nbsp;that&nbsp;their crests&nbsp;almost appeared to be
ablaze.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Georgia></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Georgia>I have a hunch that I'm going to like being able
to living in&nbsp;this landscape, not just visiting it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Georgia></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Georgia>Andrew Steeves</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Georgia>Wolfville (for three more weeks)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2
face=Georgia></FONT><!--[if !mso]><![endif]-->&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_IZlob4TB7J5Ki3O/gnqDEw)--