[NatureNS] Great Egret in Dartmouth

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 06:53:19 -0300

Hi all
I have received some info off-line, which was very helpful.  Gayle MacLean
checked it out and found no sign of the egret, but it was windy and cool.
Thanks, Gayle and Bernard Burke
Directions are:

Go to MicMac Boulevard, right beside MicMac Mall.
Turn to Garden Court
Turn left to Brookdale Crescent (the same street birders have seen rare
warblers)
Drive all the way by condos and down to the gravel road
You will see a little cove beside a walking trail.  That was where the old Y
used to be.
The other way to see the cove is

If you left Mic Mac Mall and headed towards the Parclo (old Mic Mac Rotary,
a new name, hmmm),  you would be going up the ramp.   You will see the
vacant lot where the Y building once stood.  The new walking bridge for the
Trans Canada Trail (with painted boat paddles on the sides) is in that area.
This afternoon I chatted with Laurel Banks, who told me of a recent sighting
of a probable Egret. She was paddling a war canoe on Lake Banook on Sunday
morning (18th April) when she saw a long-legged, large white bird fly in and
land in a cove on the lake. [Not Birch Cove, but the cove where the
Dartmouth YMCA used to be.] This was during the snow storm, poor thing. She
didn't see it well enough to distinguish the species.

Patricia L. Chalmers
Halifax