[NatureNS] Better Owling

From: Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:19:34 -0300

Hi,

3 weeks ago I had a disappointing owl route survey in the hills behind
Falmouth, but I thought it might be worth another try. What a
difference 3 weeks makes (and perhaps better ears)!

We (Bernard, Rick and I) got 10 owls - 2 pairs of Barred (all 4 birds
seen closely), 3 separate Saw-whets, and 1 pair plus 1 individual
Great Horned. The pairs were all "talking" back and forth, and the
Barred started before the tape, but responded to it.

There were Woodcock at many of the stops, and several winnowing Snipe
- one of which sounded exactly like the Boreal owl on the tape and
made us think long and hard.

Peepers and Wood frogs were abundant, and the stars and planets were
spectacular .

Richard

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Stern