[NatureNS] tree swallows here in White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:46:59 -0300

It is a wonderful spring morning here in White Point. The ocean is a
marvelous shade of pewter with a lovely cerulean (sp?) wash of blue with a
mystical shimmer. How I wish I could capture that on canvas!!
I have swallows, two for sure possibly more. I hear one last week and
thought I saw one Friday but today I am 100% positive. My hummingbird
feeders are out and refreshed and I expect if things go as the past couple
years we will have a bird but the week's end. Usually one week after we see
swallows we see the earliest hummingbirds.
The feeders are busy by times. The yard is an amazing meeting ground of
birds various and at times riotously noisy with all the song. We have"
chickadees, sparrows; song, white throats, american trees, a chipping  and
last night, at dark, a fox sparrow. No sign of it today. The majority are
the white throats and songs. There is a white breasted nuthatch, many
woodpeckers both Hairy and downy, and 3 northern flickers. Countless
mourning doves, blue jays, male and female redwinged blackbirds and robins
everywhere. I had 19 suppertime last evening just in my yard and more in the
neighbours.
There are still a few juncos three american goldfinch males and three pairs
of Purple finches as well as what I think are three more females traveling
separately. I have a couple warbler types of unknown lineage. There seems to
be a flash of rufus when they flit close enough to the house for me to even
see them.. We have way too many grackles but at least the starlings which
are still plentiful are coming in fewer numbers.
There are still a number of big crows and at least one raven.
Does anyone know the life expectancy of the Ravens? I used to have one 'walk
and talk' with me when I was digging my gardens (I would toss it June bug
larva and it accommodatingly dispatched the with relish) and as I walked the
year yesterday trying to figure what to tackle first, and how, one came and
did a similar thing. Kind of nice.
best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca