[NatureNS] Owl Route #35 - Lapland/Laconna

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 05:36:25 +0000

--_b78c6879-b50f-48a3-97d4-10f38d915cfa_

Dorothy Poole and I did route #35 on 04/11/10.  The temperature went from 1=
0 to 2.  It was a good year for owls as we heard 18 in total.  All were bar=
red owls and two were repeats.   This year was strange as a number of owls =
were heard after the playback stopped.  Five to be exact.  It was also abno=
rmal that a lot of owls did not respond to the barred owl playback=2C but i=
nitially to the boreal only. It was very windy at the first stop and even m=
ore so at the last two stops=2C but inbetween very quiet and calm.  The ski=
es were clear and the evening bright.  Owls were detected at 6 out of 10 lo=
cations.  Two locations had no owls for the first time ever on this route. =
 For the second year in a row=2C there were no northern saw-whets.   Other =
abnormalities were a lack of wood frogs being vocal.  I suspect that with t=
he warm weather that we had that they probably were vocal sooner then norma=
l and have stopped vocalizing now. =20

=20

Other notables.  A lack of Common loons calling on this route.  We did not =
hear any loons at all this time around except for the last two stops.  Norm=
ally loons were detected at almost every stop.  At one stop we heard two se=
parate=2C large groups of coyotes vocalizing back and forth to one another.=
  We had the least amount of vehicles ever on this route and also the least=
 amount of planes heard and seen.  It is interesting that there seemed to b=
e a lack of air traffic.  Normally this is a very active route for such. =20

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport
 		 	   		 =20
Videos that have everyone talking! Now also in HD!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9724465=

--_b78c6879-b50f-48a3-97d4-10f38d915cfa_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Dorothy Poole and I did route #35 on 04/11/10.&nbsp=3B The temperature went=
 from 10 to 2.&nbsp=3B It was a good year for owls as we heard 18 in total.=
&nbsp=3B All were barred owls and two were repeats.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B This ye=
ar was strange as a number of owls were heard after the playback stopped.&n=
bsp=3B Five to be exact.&nbsp=3B It was also abnormal that a lot of owls di=
d not respond to the barred owl playback=2C but initially to the boreal onl=
y.&nbsp=3BIt was very windy at the first stop and even more so at the last =
two stops=2C but inbetween very quiet and calm.&nbsp=3B The skies were clea=
r and the evening bright.&nbsp=3B Owls were detected at 6 out of 10 locatio=
ns.&nbsp=3B Two locations had no owls for the first time ever on this route=
.&nbsp=3B For the second year in a row=2C there were no northern saw-whets.=
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Other abnormalities were a lack of wood frogs being vocal.=
&nbsp=3B I suspect that with the warm weather that we had that they probabl=
y were vocal sooner then normal and have stopped vocalizing now.&nbsp=3B <B=

&nbsp=3B<BR>
Other notables.&nbsp=3B A lack of Common loons calling on this route.&nbsp=
=3B We did not hear any loons at all this time around except for the last t=
wo stops.&nbsp=3B Normally loons were detected at almost every stop.&nbsp=
=3B At one stop we heard two separate=2C large groups of coyotes vocalizing=
 back and forth to one another.&nbsp=3B We had the least amount of vehicles=
 ever on this route and also the least amount of planes heard and seen.&nbs=
p=3B It is interesting that there seemed to be a lack of air traffic.&nbsp=
=3B Normally this is a very active route for such.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Videos that have everyone talking! Now a=
lso in HD! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9724460' target=3D'=
_new'>MSN.ca Video.</a></body>

--_b78c6879-b50f-48a3-97d4-10f38d915cfa_--