[NatureNS] Saw-whet Owls (was Tangier Owl Route)

Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:10:08 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

         Thanks to those who responded to my query about all the
Saw-whet Owls on my survey route.  One possibly important point,
which I had failed to mention, is that we heard 9 of the 10 owls
during the first two minutes of the survey, during the "silent
listening" period.  That is, they were calling BEFORE we began to
broadcast owl calls.  It is significant that the owls were freely
calling, without being "enticed" or "provoked" by a recording.  I
have received an expert opinion that this indicates that the Saw-whet
Owls were therefore indeed "on territory"  and not still in migration.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers