[NatureNS] Ipswich Sparrows(a plenty) and Other Nature Notes

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 11:12:58 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_7/DqyDTh387ffKTiBxWiKw)

A gentle nudge this morning motivated me to respond to my 4:45 AM wake-up alarm.  My plan was to venture out with sufficient time to make the first headland at Martinique Beach Provincial Park before sunrise.  I was not disappointed.  It was the most spectacular sunrise I've ever seen out here.  The tide was lapping sufficiently low to create herring bone ponds of water separated by glistening wet sand, all lit up by the predawn sun which was reflecting down upon the beach from a layer of clouds, which were conveniently positioned just above the horizon just for this purpose.

As I came to the first headland just before the wash through I spotted 11 Ipswich Sparrows hopping along the small kelp mounds.  They were unusually skittish, perhaps a response to having just arrived on unfamiliar territory.

At the whale carcass near the far east end of the beach I noted that the whale's backbone had disappeared over the weekend.  Since this bony structure was at least 5 metres long and likely a few hundred kilograms in weight carting it off would require an organized effort.  It was near the beach dune but still within the high water mark so probably remained within the jurisdiction of the federal department of Fisheries and Oceans, although they may have delegated this authority to DNR since it is a provincial park.  It's illegal to remove anything from a national park without a permit. I don't know what the provincial park regulations are as they pertain to removing animal remains but I suspect they are probably not much different than a national park.

At the far eastern headland at the end of the beach stood a Great Blue Heron, my first sighting of the species this year.

On my return along the beach I encountered Ipswich Sparrows along a one kilometre section of beach, mostly in the area of the wash through.  They were hard to count as they hopped along the beach and darted back and forth into the dunes but I estimate there were about 25-30 individuals.

The Bald Eagles at Meaghers Grant are well into their third week of nesting.  This morning one sat on the nest as usual while the other bird stood sentry nearby, also as usual.  They are about one kilometre from the roadside so are well distanced from human disturbance.

Hans

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_7/DqyDTh387ffKTiBxWiKw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A gentle nudge this morning motivated me to respond
to my 4:45 AM wake-up alarm.&nbsp; My plan was to&nbsp;venture out with
sufficient time to make the first headland at Martinique Beach Provincial Park
before sunrise.&nbsp; I was not disappointed.&nbsp; It was the most spectacular
sunrise I've ever seen out here.&nbsp; The tide was lapping sufficiently low to
create herring bone ponds of water&nbsp;separated by glistening wet sand, all
lit up by the predawn sun which was&nbsp;reflecting down upon the beach from a
layer of clouds, which were conveniently positioned just above the horizon just
for this purpose.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>As I came to the first headland just before the
wash through I spotted 11 <STRONG>Ipswich Sparrows</STRONG> hopping along the
small kelp mounds.&nbsp; They were unusually skittish, perhaps a response to
having just arrived on unfamiliar territory.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At the whale carcass near the far east end of the
beach I noted that the whale's backbone had disappeared over the weekend.&nbsp;
Since this bony structure was at least 5 metres long and likely a few hundred
kilograms in weight carting it off would require an organized effort.&nbsp; It
was near the beach dune but still within the high water mark so probably
remained within the jurisdiction of the federal department of Fisheries and
Oceans, although they may have delegated this authority to DNR since it is a
provincial park.&nbsp; It's illegal to remove anything from a national park
without a permit. I don't know what the provincial park regulations are as they
pertain to removing animal remains but I suspect they are probably not much
different than a&nbsp;national park.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At the far eastern headland at the end of the beach
stood a <STRONG>Great Blue Heron</STRONG>, my first sighting of the species this
year.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On my return along the beach I encountered
<STRONG>Ipswich Sparrows</STRONG> along a one kilometre section of beach, mostly
in the area of the wash through.&nbsp; They&nbsp;were hard to count as they
hopped along the beach and darted back and forth into the dunes but I estimate
there were about 25-30 individuals.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The <STRONG>Bald Eagles</STRONG> at Meaghers Grant
are well into their third week of nesting.&nbsp; This morning one&nbsp;sat on
the nest as usual while the other bird stood sentry nearby, also as usual.&nbsp;
They are about one kilometre from the roadside so are well distanced from human
disturbance.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_7/DqyDTh387ffKTiBxWiKw)--