[NatureNS] book of odes

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 14:07:04 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_KvCNyQYbFgAvw9tgnW6+nw)

Hi Randy et al,

My recommendation for a field guide to the odes remains:
"A Field Guide to the Dragonflies and Damselflies of Massachusetts" by Blair Nikula, Jennifer Loose and Matthew Burne.  It is published by the Natural Heritage & Endangered Species Program of the MA Division of Fisheries & Wildlife.  I have the first edition, published in 2003, but I know that a revised edition (second edition?) is now available.
It is available directly from the publisher, Route 135, Westborough MA 01581.  The phone number I have for current prices and availability is (508) 792-7270, ext. 200.  More info may be available from the web site:
www.masswildlife.org.

The guide includes 90-95% of all species you are likely to encounter in NS, and of course, includes some species not likely to be found here.  But I believe that it's the best guide that includes both Anisoptera (dragonflies) and Zygoptera (damselflies) for the Maritime Provinces.  With the support and expertise of Paul Brunelle, in 2005, the Halifax Field Nats published a field checklist of the Dragonflies of Nova Scotia.  This list includes 33 species of damselflies and 88 species of dragonflies (total species = 121).  It is available from HFN but the simplest thing might be to contact me and I will insure that one (or more) will be mailed to you.  The cost is $1.00 each (includes mailing).

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
Halifax
bobathome@eastlink.ca