[NatureNS] An evening of nature-observation

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 09:41:16 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016368e3261760e1204836888cb

Hi,

Last night Liz and I ran our Owl Survey route, along the Mines Road -
starting west of Falmouth and heading up the logging roads along the
headwaters of the Avon River. The bad news - no owls!  There is evidence of
continued, fresh and extensive logging, so perhaps that's why. Also, where
we heard a Barred owl last year, the river was in full spate, and very
noisy. I heard 2 single "peeps" that sounded Saw-whettish, but they didn't
continue, so I didn't count them.

The good news - it was the warmest owl survey I have ever done. +13C at
sunset, and still +7C by 22:30  -and there were lots of other things to see.
The stars were brilliant, and even as extremely amateur observers, and with
the help of an Iphone app. called Pocket Universe we were able to identify
the Orion nebula, the Pleiades and all the main constellations, as well as
(courtesy of Sherman), Mercury, Venus, Mars and Saturn. Spring Peepers and
Wood Frogs were in places very noisy. By using the flashlight, we were able
to get really close looks at myriads of Wood frogs scurrying about on the
water and at the edge. There were also large numbers of insects in flight,
that looked like mini-versions of June Bugs.

The worse news - at the end we decided to continue along the logging road
system (Butler Rd. etc.) to get back to the main road to Kentville. After
about 10km. of slow driving on heavily rutted roads, we discovered the road
was completely washed out, with a large hole and a river rushing through it.
So we had to turn round and retrace our steps completely. The best news - we
eventually got home safely without getting stuck or falling into any holes.

I might try again later in the month.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016368e3261760e1204836888cb

Hi,<br><br>Last night Liz and I ran our Owl Survey route, along the Mines R=
oad - starting west of Falmouth and heading up the logging roads along the =
headwaters of the Avon River. The bad news - no owls!=A0 There is evidence =
of continued, fresh and extensive logging, so perhaps that&#39;s why. Also,=
 where we heard a Barred owl last year, the river was in full spate, and ve=
ry noisy. I heard 2 single &quot;peeps&quot; that sounded Saw-whettish, but=
 they didn&#39;t continue, so I didn&#39;t count them.<br>

 sunset, and still +7C by 22:30=A0 -and there were lots of other things to =
see. The stars were brilliant, and even as extremely amateur observers, and=
 with the help of an Iphone app. called Pocket Universe we were able to ide=
ntify the Orion nebula, the Pleiades and all the main constellations, as we=
ll as (courtesy of Sherman), Mercury, Venus, Mars and Saturn. Spring Peeper=
s and Wood Frogs were in places very noisy. By using the flashlight, we wer=
e able to get really close looks at myriads of Wood frogs scurrying about o=
n the water and at the edge. There were also large numbers of insects in fl=
ight, that looked like mini-versions of June Bugs.<br>

ad system (Butler Rd. etc.) to get back to the main road to Kentville. Afte=
r about 10km. of slow driving on heavily rutted roads, we discovered the ro=
ad was completely washed out, with a large hole and a river rushing through=
 it. So we had to turn round and retrace our steps completely. The best new=
s - we eventually got home safely without getting stuck or falling into any=
 holes.<br>

ail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>

--0016368e3261760e1204836888cb--