[NatureNS] White Point, Queens

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:47:41 -0300

What a lovely if somewhat chilly Sunday morning. the neighbourhood is a
cacophony of song!! Delightful although I wish I could tune up the grackles
a tad.
This week has brought a number of visitors to the feeders. I am still
wondering about cutting gradually back on the food we put out so as not to
leave anyone in the lurch during nesting season, in case the place sells. We
have a few viewers but moves seldom happen in a hurry so maybe I shouldn't
worry.

Birds include Northern Flickers, a pair plus one at least; many Blue Jays in
surges; many (too)  many Starlings, again in surges as well as what seems to
be the resident population; first a few Grackles then a whole slew, enough
to fill the ash tree off the mound. We have  fewer Juncos after earlier in
the week being inundate with them, and seem to be down to one or two mainly
at dusk. A solitary American gold finch. there is a nuthatch, a white
bellied one, hanging about in the maples but it doesn't seem interested in
the feeders.
Woodpecker activity is still pretty much the same someone lining up for
seedcake  most times. Chickadees are seeming to slow some. Sparrows include
Song, White Throat, American Tree from time to time; a Chipping, again from
time to time and What I am pretty sure is an Ipswich but it is very
secretive and hard to confirm. I am going by the touch of frosty look.
This week we had two groups of Red- Winged Blackbirds. The first were
females. Nine. They spent about a day and a half here. Then Thursday they
were gone and they were replaced by a group of males and juveniles Friday
morning. I counted 13 of them.
There is at least one Bald eagle, a Northern Harrier and  a Red tailed hawk
passing through once in awhile. Eye level through the kitchen window was a
treat......well for me at any rate. The smaller birds froze and or
scattered!
We haven't seen any sign of our Chipmunks at all. Not one after 20 years. I
fear we have someone poisoning "them rats" or maybe the neighbourhood cat
population is taking a toll. I don't know but I do miss them.  There is a
Coyote drop behind the greenhouse so I figure nature will take care of the
cats soon enough. I make their lives as miserable as I keep  shoosing them
away. Soon the hose will come out and they will understand they are not
hunting my birds.
I put out two hummingbird feeders this week. I know it is early but I figure
they will be early this year and will need some help.
Of course they froze but seem to be ok. I need to figure how to keep them
warmer at night. I can't seem to remember to bring them inside. The
chickadees and the woodpeckers seem to enjoy a swig from time to time.
The Maple toward town is/was blooming. Rhubarb is up and serious about
coming along.
Still no peepers but thought I heard a  frog last weekend when the
temperatures were so nice. Pussywillows are blasting and the alder catkins
have dropped!! Heavenly scent at night.
Yesterday I found the dried up remains of what appeared to be a red backed
salamander in front of the firehall in town. Nothing but asphalt around the
area. Maybe it got sucked up by the trucks loading or maybe washed in on the
tidal surge....who know. Poor little creature.
Best regards,
Marg Millard
White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca