[NatureNS] Eastern Shore birding report- Feb. 14, 2020

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:24:23 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_pf1LBwoQ3f7HcTGrIuTQNA)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Charlie Kendell and I made a trip from Stellarton- Trafalgar- Sheet Harbour- Ecum Secum and return yesterday Feb. 14, 2010. It was a great day to be outside, more reminiscent of early April than February, and the birds were numerous and very active especially along route 374 through the Liscomb Sanctuary. In the Lorne area we encountered a flock of 40 Evening Grosbeaks and 30 Goldfinches, but saw no more though the rest of the day. The Lorne to the south end of the Sanctuary was busy with most areas having singing White-winged Crossbills, Pine Siskins and Red-breasted Nuthatches abundant in the large spruce cone crop.
A Gray Jay was noted near the Ellen Brown Rd. turn-off.
A nice surprise was a Northern Goshawk at NAD 83-  529728   5012200.

We recorded about 25 species on Sober I. We were delighted to see a small flock of PURPLE SANDPIPERS which included  "Whitey" an unusually plumaged PUSA with white wings and black head and chest that has been coming to this wintering location for many years now. In the same area,  2 THICK-BILLED MURRES were noted  At least 17 GREAT CORMORANTS were noted with the white flank patch visible on many of the birds. A few Black Guillemots were noted but they were still in winter plumage.

A BELTED KINGFISHER was noted in the Beaver Harbour area. An Otter was noted near the Marquis de Dufferin wharf gazebo in Port Dufferin. Another Gray Jay was noted in Harrigan Cove as well as 8 more GREAT CORMORANT.

At Moosehead, we noted 5 HORNED GREBE and another Great Cormorant. In a yard in Moser River we noted 4 Red-winged Blackbirds and 1 Common Grackle. At Mitchell Bay we noted another Gray Jay and the lone RED-NECKED GREBE was noted from the wharf in the Ecum Secum West area.

Most areas of open water had the usual Common Loons, Long-tailed Ducks, Common Goldeneye. Red-breasted Mergansers. More details on species numbers seen on the trip can be seen on the Great Backyard  Bird Count website
http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps/report?cmd=showReport&reportName=AllSpeciesCity&state=CA-NS&year=2010
-Look for the NS tally and click on Moser River, Port Dufferin, Sheet Harbour and Hopewell the closest postal codes I could find to the locales.

On the way home we stopped in the Nancy Cellar area just south of Lorne and had a pair of GREAT HORNED OWL calling for our 50th species for the day's efforts.
cheers
ken

--Boundary_(ID_pf1LBwoQ3f7HcTGrIuTQNA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><BR>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Charlie Kendell and I made a trip from Stellarton-
Trafalgar- Sheet Harbour- Ecum Secum and return yesterday Feb. 14, 2010. It was
a great day to be outside, more reminiscent of early April than February, and
the birds were numerous and very active especially along route 374 through the
Liscomb Sanctuary. In the Lorne area we encountered a flock of 40 Evening
Grosbeaks and 30 Goldfinches, but saw no more though the rest of the day. The
Lorne to the south&nbsp;end of the Sanctuary was busy with most areas having
singing White-winged Crossbills, Pine Siskins and Red-breasted Nuthatches
abundant in the large spruce cone crop. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A Gray Jay was noted near the Ellen Brown Rd.
turn-off. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A nice surprise was a Northern Goshawk at NAD 83-
&nbsp;529728&nbsp;&nbsp; 5012200. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We recorded about 25 species on Sober I. We were
delighted to see a small flock of PURPLE SANDPIPERS which included&nbsp;
"Whitey" an unusually plumaged PUSA with white wings and black head and chest
that has been coming to this wintering location for many years now. In the same
area, &nbsp;2 THICK-BILLED MURRES were noted&nbsp; At least 17 GREAT CORMORANTS
were noted with the white flank patch visible on many of the birds. A few Black
Guillemots were noted but they were still in winter plumage. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A BELTED KINGFISHER&nbsp;was noted in the Beaver
Harbour area. An Otter was noted near the Marquis de Dufferin wharf gazebo in
Port Dufferin. Another Gray Jay was noted in Harrigan Cove&nbsp;as well as 8
more GREAT CORMORANT. &nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Moosehead, we noted 5 HORNED GREBE and another
Great Cormorant. In a yard in Moser River we noted 4 Red-winged Blackbirds and 1
Common Grackle. At Mitchell Bay we noted another Gray Jay and the lone
RED-NECKED GREBE was noted from the wharf in the Ecum Secum West area.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Most areas of open water had the usual Common
Loons, Long-tailed Ducks, Common Goldeneye. Red-breasted Mergansers. More
details on species numbers&nbsp;seen on the trip can be seen on the Great
Backyard&nbsp; Bird Count website</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps/report?cmd=showReport&amp;reportName=AllSpeciesCity&amp;state=CA-NS&amp;year=2010">http://gbbc.birdsource.org/gbbcApps/report?cmd=showReport&amp;reportName=AllSpeciesCity&amp;state=CA-NS&amp;year=2010</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>-Look for the NS tally and click on Moser River,
Port Dufferin, Sheet Harbour and Hopewell the closest postal codes I could find
to the locales. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On the way home we stopped in the Nancy Cellar area
just south of Lorne and had a pair of GREAT HORNED OWL calling for our 50th
species for the day's efforts. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>ken</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_pf1LBwoQ3f7HcTGrIuTQNA)--