[NatureNS] Re: Dark Raptor

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:50:04 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000e0cd2dc326efaf6047fa74095

Hi,

1st and 2nd year (etc.) Bald Eagles can be very dark, with only small
amounts of light under the wings. But they always have at least some light
in the axillary region, where the wing meets the body - whereas imm. Goldens
have the white farther out on the wings , and the axillary area is dark.
Another bird that in some lights, especially if briefly seen, can appear to
have very light wing linings and dark flight feathers is Turkey Vulture.

Richard

--
        #################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--000e0cd2dc326efaf6047fa74095

amounts of=A0light under the wings. But they always have at least some=A0li=
ght in the axillary region, where the wing meets the body - whereas imm. Go=
ldens have the white farther out on the wings , and the axillary area is da=
rk. Another bird that in some lights, especially if briefly seen,=A0can app=
ear to have very light wing linings and dark flight feathers is Turkey Vult=
ure.</div>

px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">Hi John - The white windows unde=
r the wings are the best field mark for imm. Goldens. Sibley&#39;s shows th=
is also on p.126. A Swainson&#39;s has narrower wings (reminds me of harrie=
r in that way) and light from body on to darker ends. ( Somewhat reversed f=
rom all other raptors.) Keep posting, as it alerts us all to keep our eyes =
open. Cheers, Joan<br>

px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">Golden Eagle? =A0I did, but my P=
eterson didn&#39;t show the contrasting linings and flight feathers. =A0Mor=
e all black, or a little white in young birds.<br>

dark, and too large-billed. =A0Too bad I couldn&#39;t stop the car!<br><br>=
----- Original Message ----- From: &quot;Joan Czapalay&quot; &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:joancz@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">joancz@ns.sympatico.ca</a=
>&gt;<br>

To: &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">nature=
ject: [NatureNS] Re: Dark Raptor , was Juncos and those blue guys<br><br><b=
r>

px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">Have you considered immature Gol=
den Eagle, John? If you have Hawks in Flight by Pete Dunn, David Sibley and=
 Clay Sutton (Houghton Mifflin,1988) note the light /dark contrast on the u=
nderwings. Cheers, Joan<br>

px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">To: =A0all<br>=A0From; =A0John S=
ollows<br>=A0Date: Feb. 13/10<br>=A0No shortage of juncos here in Yarmouth.=
ot, taken by my wife Feb. 7. =A0It was a cold, windy day,<br>

and seven of them were huddling against the weather. =A0My wife got a littl=
e<br>closer, and the little guys (inclding one brownish gal) flew up and<br=
>dispersed.<br><br>That led me to delay passing along the word. =A0The disc=
ussion re. the varied thrush is very a propos. =A0Considering the weather, =
we didn&#39;t do these<br>

birds any favor by trying to get a good picture. I&#39;m glad to send our b=
est shot of thse guys to anyone who is interested, but the picture is too b=
ig to be posted to all. Saw the house owner this evening. =A0 They evidentl=
y disappeared after Feb. 8, but reappeared briefly yesterday.<br>

=A0On the way home from the Feb. 7 bluebird visit, on Wyman Road a turkey v=
ulture crossed the path of the car =A0(not at all unusual), followed by a d=
ark raptor of apparently similar size with dark (black?) flight feathers an=
d apparently white wing linings. =A0The contrast between wing linings and f=
light feathers was striking. =A0I presume it was an immature bald eagle, bu=
t have never seen such contrast in an illustration. =A0Any thoughts?<br>

1T0<br><br>
sternrichard@gmail.com<br>

--000e0cd2dc326efaf6047fa74095--