[NatureNS] Sable Island National Park proposal

Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:47:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Rob Woods <rrtwoods@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-157621033-1264780072=:66308

I do not see why Sable Island cannot be a national park but still require p=
ermits to visit. Nahanni NP requires all overnight visitors to register in =
advance and access is limited. Also even Float Plane day visitors are restr=
icted to companies that have a registered landing permit. =0A=0AAs for the =
number of visitors - this is an island 160KM offshore Canso across rough se=
as. Your average tourist is not going to make such a trip both because of c=
ost and time to get there and especially if facilities are limited. Nahanni=
 does not have visitors centre either. While I agree their would be more vi=
sitors to the Island than today, I think we are only going to attract the d=
ie hard=A0enviromental tourist=A0who is willing to pay the extra costs whic=
h could help the island and other nova scotia national parks. Access fees c=
an be made financially significant.=0A=0AI am not saying there isnt a bette=
r solution but the National Park System has a lot of latitude with access. =
As a national park there also becomes restrictions on ownership, industry, =
hunting etc. Usually more so than other wildlife protect areas. =0A=0ARob W=
oods=0AGeorgefield NS=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0AFrom=
: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>=0ATo: NS NATURE <naturens@chebucto=
.ns.ca>=0ASent: Fri, January 29, 2010 10:27:37 AM=0ASubject: [NatureNS] Sab=
le Island National Park proposal=0A=0AHi All,=0A=A0=A0 I've been following =
the discussion of the Feds proposed making Sable Island a national park on =
Parker Donham's "Contrarian" blog and wondered why I haven't seen any discu=
ssion here on the idea; good or bad.=0A=A0=A0=A0Most of the feedback I've s=
een has been that it is a bad idea and at first blush=A0I tend to agree. =
=0A=A0=A0 The National parks are a wonderful institution but their philosop=
hy (at least in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park;the one I know best=
)=A0on protecting wilderness tends to waffle between protect everything and=
 keep people out and=A0let in the tourists and make parks pay for themselve=
s.=A0Over the=A0last decade they have been doing the former=A0by trying to =
limit park overuse and=A0emphasizing more wilderness protection & research.=
 This came after decades of a more tourist friendly philosophy that was mor=
e interested in visitor totals than wilderness protection. Lately they have=
 turned to a mixture of the two; protect some parts and encourage tourist v=
isitation in others. This is probably the best solution as swinging back an=
d forth; at the whim of whatever philosophy is in vogue at the moment: make=
s it impossible to have a long term strategy that can have time to work for=
 all parties involved.=0A=A0=A0 The sable Island proposal has a few good th=
ings going for it; The National Parks have lots of money for research and w=
ould=A0allow for the installation=A0of infrastructure (permanent air strip,=
 research facilities' weather station etc.) and a permanent human presence=
=A0on the island.=0A=A0On the other hand they want to allow much more acces=
s=A0for tourists=A0to visit and there is no protection from the=A0oil & gas=
 industries that I can see. =0AI don't think the province; who would have t=
o approve=A0this change in status; have stated a firm position; although th=
ey have not ruled it out and seem OK with further discussion.=A0=A0=0A=A0Fo=
r those interested in this proposal I recommend you check out Parker's blog=
 as he has much more, and better stated, views including links to the actua=
l proposal and a=A0facebook page for those opposed to the plan. http://cont=
rarian.ca =0A=A0All the best.=0A=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Fritz McEvoy=0A=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 Sunrise Valley, CB=A0=A0=A0=0A=0A=0A_____=
___________________________=0AWindows Live Messenger makes it easier to sta=
y in touch - learn how! =0A=0A=0A      ____________________________________=
______________________________=0ABe smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGu=
ard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail.  Click o=
n Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http=
://mail.yahoo.ca
--0-157621033-1264780072=:66308

ad><body><div style=3D"font-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;=
font-size:12pt"><DIV>I do not see why Sable Island cannot be a national par=
k but still require permits to visit. Nahanni NP requires all overnight vis=
itors to register in advance and access is limited. Also even Float Plane d=
ay visitors are restricted to companies that have a registered landing perm=
it. </DIV>=0A<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A<DIV>As for the number of visitors - this =
is an island 160KM offshore Canso across rough seas. Your average tourist i=
s not going to make such a trip both because of cost and time to get there =
and especially if facilities are limited. Nahanni does not have visitors ce=
ntre either. While I agree their would be more visitors to the Island than =
today, I think we are only going to attract the die hard&nbsp;enviromental =
tourist&nbsp;who is willing to pay the extra costs which could help the isl=
and and other nova scotia national parks. Access fees can be made financial=
ly significant.</DIV>=0A<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A<DIV>I am not saying there isnt=
 a better solution but the National Park System has a lot of latitude with =
access. As a national park there also becomes restrictions on ownership, in=
dustry, hunting etc. Usually more so than other wildlife protect areas. </D=
IV>=0A<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>=0A<DIV>Rob Woods</DIV>=0A<DIV>Georgefield NS<BR></D=
IV>=0A<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york=
, times, serif"><BR>=0A<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times ne=
w roman, new york, times, serif"><FONT face=3DTahoma size=3D2>=0A<HR SIZE=
=3D1>=0A<B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">From:</SPAN></B> Fritz McEvoy =
&lt;fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com&gt;<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">To:=
</SPAN></B> NS NATURE &lt;naturens@chebucto.ns.ca&gt;<BR><B><SPAN style=3D"=
FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Sent:</SPAN></B> Fri, January 29, 2010 10:27:37 AM<BR><B=
><SPAN style=3D"FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Subject:</SPAN></B> [NatureNS] Sable Isl=
and National Park proposal<BR></FONT><BR>=0A<STYLE><!--=0A.hmmessage P=0A{=
=0Amargin:0