[NatureNS] Sable Island National Park proposal

From: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
To: NS NATURE <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:27:37 -0400

--_0a64d759-448e-43f1-9d5b-475bbe0c721f_

Hi All=2C
   I've been following the discussion of the Feds proposed making Sable Isl=
and a national park on Parker Donham's "Contrarian" blog and wondered why I=
 haven't seen any discussion here on the idea=3B good or bad.
   Most of the feedback I've seen has been that it is a bad idea and at fir=
st blush I tend to agree.=20
   The National parks are a wonderful institution but their philosophy (at =
least in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park=3Bthe one I know best) on =
protecting wilderness tends to waffle between protect everything and keep p=
eople out and let in the tourists and make parks pay for themselves. Over t=
he last decade they have been doing the former by trying to limit park over=
use and emphasizing more wilderness protection & research. This came after =
decades of a more tourist friendly philosophy that was more interested in v=
isitor totals than wilderness protection. Lately they have turned to a mixt=
ure of the two=3B protect some parts and encourage tourist visitation in ot=
hers. This is probably the best solution as swinging back and forth=3B at t=
he whim of whatever philosophy is in vogue at the moment: makes it impossib=
le to have a long term strategy that can have time to work for all parties =
involved.
   The sable Island proposal has a few good things going for it=3B The Nati=
onal Parks have lots of money for research and would allow for the installa=
tion of infrastructure (permanent air strip=2C research facilities' weather=
 station etc.) and a permanent human presence on the island.
 On the other hand they want to allow much more access for tourists to visi=
t and there is no protection from the oil & gas industries that I can see.=
=20
I don't think the province=3B who would have to approve this change in stat=
us=3B have stated a firm position=3B although they have not ruled it out an=
d seem OK with further discussion. =20
 For those interested in this proposal I recommend you check out Parker's b=
log as he has much more=2C and better stated=2C views including links to th=
e actual proposal and a facebook page for those opposed to the plan. http:/=
/contrarian.ca=20

 All the best.

                       Fritz McEvoy

                       Sunrise Valley=2C CB  =20

 		 	   		 =20
Say Happy New Year with Messenger for Mobile.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9706117=

--_0a64d759-448e-43f1-9d5b-475bbe0c721f_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi All=2C<BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B I've been following the discussion of the Fed=
s proposed making Sable Island a national park on Parker Donham's "Contrari=
an" blog and wondered why I haven't seen any discussion here on the idea=3B=
 good or bad.<BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BMost of the feedback I've seen has=
 been that it is a bad idea and at first blush&nbsp=3BI tend to agree. <BR>=
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B The National parks are a wonderful institution but their p=
hilosophy (at least in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park=3Bthe one I =
know best)&nbsp=3Bon protecting wilderness tends to waffle between protect =
everything and keep people out and&nbsp=3Blet in the tourists and make park=
s pay for themselves.&nbsp=3BOver the&nbsp=3Blast decade they have been doi=
ng the former&nbsp=3Bby trying to limit park overuse and&nbsp=3Bemphasizing=
 more wilderness protection &amp=3B research. This came after decades of a =
more tourist friendly philosophy that was more interested in visitor totals=
 than wilderness protection. Lately they have turned to a mixture of the tw=
o=3B protect some parts and encourage tourist visitation in others. This is=
 probably the best solution as swinging back and forth=3B at the whim of wh=
atever philosophy is in vogue at the moment: makes it impossible to have a =
long term strategy that can have time to work for all parties involved.<BR>=
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B The sable Island proposal has a few good things going for =
it=3B The National Parks have lots of money for research and would&nbsp=3Ba=
llow for the installation&nbsp=3Bof infrastructure (permanent air strip=2C =
research facilities' weather station etc.) and a permanent human presence&n=
bsp=3Bon the island.<BR>&nbsp=3BOn the other hand they want to allow much m=
ore access&nbsp=3Bfor tourists&nbsp=3Bto visit and there is no protection f=
rom the&nbsp=3Boil &amp=3B gas industries that I can see. <BR>I don't think=
 the province=3B who would have to approve&nbsp=3Bthis change in status=3B =
have stated a firm position=3B although they have not ruled it out and seem=
 OK with further discussion.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B<BR>&nbsp=3BFor those intereste=
d in this proposal I recommend you check out Parker's blog as he has much m=
ore=2C and better stated=2C views including links to the actual proposal an=
d a&nbsp=3Bfacebook page for those opposed to the plan. <A href=3D"http://c=
ontrarian.ca">http://contrarian.ca</A> <BR>
&nbsp=3BAll the best.<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nb=
sp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Fritz McEvoy<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nb=
sp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Sunrise Valley=2C CB&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B<BR=
><BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Windows Live Messenger makes it easier to stay=
 in touch - <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9706113' target=3D=
'_new'>learn how!</a></body>

--_0a64d759-448e-43f1-9d5b-475bbe0c721f_--