[NatureNS] Cooper's Hawk (Alison - still in Wolfville Count period)

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:23:09 -0400
To: Alison Bogan <alison@bogan.ca>, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>,

--001636cd75123b343d047b420604

Hi,

A little while ago I came into the house, looked through the kitchen window,
and saw the tail end of a large accipiter disappearing behind a tree. I took
a second look, and then it took off, and I was able to see it at a 3/4
tail-on angle for about 5 seconds, as it flew off behind another tree. What
was obvious, though, in that brief period, were -
1). Large-sized, adult-plumaged accipiter
2). Very straight leading edge to the wings when it started to glide.
3). Curved tip to the tail with a broad white terminal band, and the tail
overall was noticeably long and broad.

Further searching was unsuccessful.

Seen with 10X40 binocs, at about 40M, in dull but clear conditions. No hope
of a photo!

I have no doubt in my mind that it was a COOPER'S HAWK.  We had a juv.
plumaged Cooper's here (photographed) 3 winters ago, then an adult bird here
last winter, so I wonder if it could all be the same bird returning to a
winter territory.

As I write this the Blue jays are back squawking and flying around the
feeders, so I presume the Coopers has gone, but I'll continue to keep my
eyes open.

I have heard that Cooper's are very partial to Mourning Doves, and in
S.Ontario they are their favorite prey - so perhaps the increase in Mourning
Doves in NS is partly responsible for the increase in Cooper's sightings in
the last few years.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--001636cd75123b343d047b420604

Hi,<br><br>A little while ago I came into the house, looked through the kit=
chen window, and saw the tail end of a large accipiter disappearing behind =
a tree. I took a second look, and then it took off, and I was able to see i=
t at a 3/4 tail-on angle for about 5 seconds, as it flew off behind another=
 tree. What was obvious, though, in that brief period, were -<br>

1). Large-sized, adult-plumaged accipiter<br>2). Very straight leading edge=
 to the wings when it started to glide.<br>3). Curved tip to the tail with =
a broad white terminal band, and the tail overall was noticeably long and b=
road.<br>

bout 40M, in dull but clear conditions. No hope of a photo!<br><br>I have n=
o doubt in my mind that it was a COOPER&#39;S HAWK.=A0 We had a juv. plumag=
ed Cooper&#39;s here (photographed) 3 winters ago, then an adult bird here =
last winter, so I wonder if it could all be the same bird returning to a wi=
nter territory.<br>

feeders, so I presume the Coopers has gone, but I&#39;ll continue to keep m=
y eyes open.<br><br>I have heard that Cooper&#39;s are very partial to Mour=
ning Doves, and in S.Ontario they are their favorite prey - so perhaps the =
increase in Mourning Doves in NS is partly responsible for the increase in =
Cooper&#39;s sightings in the last few years.<br>

href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>######=

--001636cd75123b343d047b420604--