[NatureNS] Baltimore Orioles in Halifax

Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:09:32 -0400
From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,

--001636c9270fc4afa3047b40fdd1

Hi,

Eleanor Howard, who live on Grandview Drive in Wolfville, just described a
bird visiting her feeder that sounds like it has to be an Oriole. If Jim or
anyone else there can check it out (I don't think I'll be able to for a few
days), it would be a good bird for Count Week.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--001636c9270fc4afa3047b40fdd1

ed a bird visiting her feeder that sounds like it has to be an Oriole. If J=
im or anyone else there can check it out (I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll be abl=
e to for a few days), it would be a good bird for Count Week.</div>

span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca">plchalme=
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">Hi there,<br><br>=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=
Yesterday during the Halifax Dartmouth Christmas Bird Count I found a Balti=
more Oriole moving with a flock of Black-capped Chickadees on Walton Drive,=
 in the Armdale area. =A0 I was interested to see that it was feeding on th=
e small hips of a Multiflora Rose bush. =A0I had not observed orioles eatin=
g them before. =A0I always feel rather ambivalent about Multiflora Roses; a=
n invasive, alien species, that can really take over, but at the same time =
it&#39;s a shrub which many species of birds rely on for both food and prot=
ective cover.<br>
n Vienna Street. =A0There were four Baltimore Orioles there at the time.<br=
0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</=
a><br>

--001636c9270fc4afa3047b40fdd1--