[NatureNS] White Point Birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:13:13 -0400

Lots and lots of Mourning Doves, Blue Jays and Starlings here today.
Horrific numbers of starlings. A few chickadees steadily feeding and out
front there is a fine looking brown headed cowbird on the feeder. First I
have seen in awhile
Last evening about 4ish, it started to snow seriously and several sparrows
came including 1 American tree sparrow,  four or five white throats and a
couple song sparrow moved in on the feeder in the grapevine and were there
on and off well after dark. No sign of the chipping sparrows or the other
which I am not sure about being a clay coloured. Dorothy came out and wasn't
able to see either the chipping or the clay coloured. I will keep monitoring
the feeders for sparrows

This morning I had a call from my father in law who lives in Broad River on
the old Route 3; the part that was cut off when the 103 was built over Broad
River. He had a heron on his compost bin. It didn't look like a Great Blue
Heron so I went up and it was there. Hard to see as I was looking directly
into the sun. It had dropped to the ground by then, stretching its wings
from time to time.  It then lifted up and flew into a big pine tree, spent
time resting there and flapping wings then dropped away toward the river
park that is tucked below the bridge. I couldn't follow. Colour wise and
shape it looked like it could have been a Little Blue Heron. It was very
skinny and seemed very awkward......maybe moving through the trees made it
so. I saw one many years ago when we had a big winter blow and several
egrets and the little heron were blown into Hunts Point and stayed about a
week on the properties at the top of the hill before you get to the canteen.
Someone is going to see of they can find it. I was thinking it might find
its way to flats at the trestle area of Summerville Beach so am thinking I
will run over there when the rain stops.
MargMillard, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca