[NatureNS] Pictou Co. Sat. Nov. 21, Wilson's Warbler, Brown Thrasher

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:52:29 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_b8vEUavFFKfwMKP8D8bFSg)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
A little exploring around Pictou Co. today produced a couple of new birds, but for the most part birding has been the same the last couple of weeks. At home this morning I had a single BOHEMIAN WAXWING in the yard, my first for the fall.  At Haliburton Gut in Lyons Brook there were 200 Hooded Mergansers. In the afternoon a hundred or so Bonaparte's Gulls joined them.

At Waterside Park, the Red-throated Loons have dissolved to 3 birds. The Great Blue Heron was in the same position as the last couple of weeks. I was wondering if it was a real bird, but it was not there on when I walked around behind it so it must have flushed out. Also at Waterside were 300 Canada Geese, 90 Common Goldeneye , 3 Myrtle Warblers and 150 Bonaparte's Gulls.  I could not find any shorebirds on Caribou I. or Waterside.

 I had 2 Brown Creepers on the grounds of the Pictou Lodge. I seem to be encountering at least one every time I have been out this fall. Also every flock of Black-capped Chickadees has a few Golden-crowned Kinglets this fall and I feel the numbers are on the high side this fall in this area of Northern NS. There were a couple of Iceland Gulls at the Caribou lighthouse, Caribou ferry terminal, and at the Pictou Lodge.

In Pictou,  I observed a probable female WILSON'S WARBLER near the grounds of the Fisheries pool. It almost looked like a Yellow Warbler, but the chip note sounded like a Wilson's. I managed a poor photo.
The BROWN THRASHER was in the same spot near McCulloch House, but it really did not want to show itself and I just had brief glimpse. There were 2 Double-crested Cormorants off Pier C.

At Sinclair's I, Chance Harbour was hosting about 1000 Bonaparte's Gulls.

For flowers, I still observed Mustard, Red Clover, White Sweet Clover and fall Dandelion in bloom mainly near the lighthouse at Caribou I.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_b8vEUavFFKfwMKP8D8bFSg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18852">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A little exploring around Pictou Co. today produced
a couple of new birds, but for the most part birding has been the same the last
couple of weeks. At home this morning I had a single BOHEMIAN WAXWING in the
yard, my first&nbsp;for the fall. &nbsp;At Haliburton Gut in Lyons Brook there
were 200 Hooded Mergansers. In the afternoon a hundred or so Bonaparte's Gulls
joined them. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Waterside Park, the Red-throated Loons have
dissolved to 3 birds. The Great Blue Heron was in the same position as the last
couple of weeks. I was wondering if it was a real bird, but it was not there on
when I walked around behind it so it must have flushed out. Also at Waterside
were 300 Canada Geese, 90 Common Goldeneye ,&nbsp;3 Myrtle Warblers and 150
Bonaparte's Gulls. &nbsp;I could not find any shorebirds on Caribou I. or
Waterside. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;I had 2 Brown Creepers on the grounds of the
Pictou Lodge. I seem to be encountering at least one every time I have been out
this fall. Also every flock of Black-capped Chickadees has a few Golden-crowned
Kinglets this fall and I feel the numbers are on the high side this fall in this
area of Northern NS. There were a couple of Iceland Gulls at the Caribou
lighthouse, Caribou ferry terminal, and at the Pictou Lodge. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>In Pictou, &nbsp;I observed a probable female
WILSON'S WARBLER near the grounds of the&nbsp;Fisheries pool. It almost looked
like a Yellow Warbler, but the chip&nbsp;note sounded like a Wilson's.&nbsp;I
managed a poor photo. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The BROWN THRASHER was in the same spot near
McCulloch House, but it really did not want to show itself and I just had brief
glimpse. There were 2 Double-crested Cormorants off Pier C. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Sinclair's I, Chance Harbour was hosting about
1000 Bonaparte's Gulls. &nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>For flowers, I still observed Mustard,
Red&nbsp;Clover, White Sweet Clover and fall Dandelion in bloom mainly near the
lighthouse at Caribou I. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_b8vEUavFFKfwMKP8D8bFSg)--