[NatureNS] bird listing software

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 07:31:07 -0300

--Apple-Mail-1-788476993

Hi Randy, Richard, et al.,

If I were disciplined enough to actually keep decent bird records like
you guys, I would go with eBird (http://ebird.org/content/ebird/).
It's got a lot of nice features and they're continually adding new
ones. Plus if it ever goes belly up they're sure to provide a good
transition to whatever new system comes next.

Cheers,
Andy

On 20-Oct-09, at 10:07 PM, Richard Stern wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> I sort of agree- it's quirky software that has quite a learning
> curve and seems outdated in style, but once you accept that, it
> seems to to the job(s) it was designed for, well.. Once you get used
> to its method of data entry, it works well, and the documentation
> provided with it is superb. However, updating it with various lumps
> and splits, range changes etc., is very hard and frustrating. I have
> still never got the hang of the "trips" module. It's certainly great
> for looking up data such as "how many species have I seen in my back
> yard but not in Europe, and have photographed", and similar odd
> exercises.
>
> A number of years ago I created my own lists using basic database
> software,  but it became too time consuming and unwieldy, so I ended
> up buying and still use, Avisys.
>
> However, I have gone over to the light side (a Mac), and there
> doesn't seem to be any decent listing software at all for that
> platform. So I still keep Avisys on my virtual Windows XP partition
> on the Mac and use Parallels to access it - one of only 3 programs I
> now use that require Windows. There is now so much data on my copy
> of Avisys that even if I found something better, it would have to
> have a fast and automatic import function to make the switch.
>
> Having said that, I googled listing software, and there are 2 that
> look promising - Birders Diary (which can apparently import data
> from Avisys) and an on-line one, Birdstack, if you like your data in
> the "cloud".
>
> Interesting topic!
>
> Richard
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Randy Lauff
> <randy.lauff@gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> I have used AviSys bird listing software for about 10 years. It is
> the single worst piece of software I own....everything from
> redundant key strokes to counter-intuitive data entry, I think it's
> time for a change.
>
> Can anyone describe other software that they use, pros and cons?
>
> Thanks,
> Randy
> _________________________________
> RF Lauff
> Way in the boonies of
> Antigonish County, NS.
>

> --
> #################
> Dr.R.B.Stern,
> P.O. Box 300,
> Port Williams,
> N.S., Canada,
> B0P 1T0
>
> Richard Stern,
> 317 Middle Dyke Rd.
> Port Williams, NS, Canada
> B0P 1T0
>
> sternrichard@gmail.com
> ###################

--Apple-Mail-1-788476993

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Hi Randy, Richard, et =
decent bird records like you guys, I would go with eBird (<a =
href=3D"http://ebird.org/content/ebird/">http://ebird.org/content/ebird/</=
a>). It's got a lot of nice features and they're continually adding new =
ones. Plus if it ever goes belly up they're sure to provide a good =
transition to whatever new system comes =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite">Hi =
Randy,<br><br>I sort of agree- it's quirky software that has quite a =
learning curve and seems outdated in style, but once you accept that, it =
seems to to the job(s) it was designed for, well.. Once you get used to =
its method of data entry, it works well, and the documentation provided =
with it is superb. However, updating it with various lumps and splits, =
range changes etc., is very hard and frustrating. I have still never got =
the hang of the "trips" module. It's certainly great for looking up data =
such as "how many species have I seen in my back yard but not in Europe, =
and have photographed", and similar odd exercises.<br> <br>A number of =
years ago I created my own lists using basic database software,&nbsp; =
but it became too time consuming and unwieldy, so I ended up buying and =
still use, Avisys. <br><br>However, I have gone over to the light side =
(a Mac), and there doesn't seem to be any decent listing software at all =
for that platform. So I still keep Avisys on my virtual Windows XP =
partition on the Mac and use Parallels to access it - one of only 3 =
programs I now use that require Windows. There is now so much data on my =
copy of Avisys that even if I found something better, it would have to =
have a fast and automatic import function to make the switch.<br> =
look promising - Birders Diary (which can apparently import data from =
Avisys) and an on-line one, Birdstack, if you like your data in the =
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Randy Lauff =
href=3D"mailto:randy.lauff@gmail.com">randy.lauff@gmail.com</a>></span> =
wrote:<br> <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px =
solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: =
1ex;">All,<br clear=3D"all"><br>I have used AviSys bird listing software =
for about 10 years. It is the single worst piece of software I =
own....everything from redundant key strokes to counter-intuitive data =
describe other software that they use, pros and =
href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>#####=

--Apple-Mail-1-788476993--