[NatureNS] bird listing software

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:07:11 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001636e1f3b1691a210476679ac9

Hi Randy,

I sort of agree- it's quirky software that has quite a learning curve and
seems outdated in style, but once you accept that, it seems to to the job(s)
it was designed for, well.. Once you get used to its method of data entry,
it works well, and the documentation provided with it is superb. However,
updating it with various lumps and splits, range changes etc., is very hard
and frustrating. I have still never got the hang of the "trips" module. It's
certainly great for looking up data such as "how many species have I seen in
my back yard but not in Europe, and have photographed", and similar odd
exercises.

A number of years ago I created my own lists using basic database software,
but it became too time consuming and unwieldy, so I ended up buying and
still use, Avisys.

However, I have gone over to the light side (a Mac), and there doesn't seem
to be any decent listing software at all for that platform. So I still keep
Avisys on my virtual Windows XP partition on the Mac and use Parallels to
access it - one of only 3 programs I now use that require Windows. There is
now so much data on my copy of Avisys that even if I found something better,
it would have to have a fast and automatic import function to make the
switch.

Having said that, I googled listing software, and there are 2 that look
promising - Birders Diary (which can apparently import data from Avisys) and
an on-line one, Birdstack, if you like your data in the "cloud".

Interesting topic!

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--001636e1f3b1691a210476679ac9

Hi Randy,<br><br>I sort of agree- it&#39;s quirky software that has quite a=
 learning curve and seems outdated in style, but once you accept that, it s=
eems to to the job(s) it was designed for, well.. Once you get used to its =
method of data entry, it works well, and the documentation provided with it=
 is superb. However, updating it with various lumps and splits, range chang=
es etc., is very hard and frustrating. I have still never got the hang of t=
he &quot;trips&quot; module. It&#39;s certainly great for looking up data s=
uch as &quot;how many species have I seen in my back yard but not in Europe=
, and have photographed&quot;, and similar odd exercises.<br>

are,=A0 but it became too time consuming and unwieldy, so I ended up buying=
 and still use, Avisys. <br><br>However, I have gone over to the light side=
 (a Mac), and there doesn&#39;t seem to be any decent listing software at a=
ll for that platform. So I still keep Avisys on my virtual Windows XP parti=
tion on the Mac and use Parallels to access it - one of only 3 programs I n=
ow use that require Windows. There is now so much data on my copy of Avisys=
 that even if I found something better, it would have to have a fast and au=
tomatic import function to make the switch.<br>

 promising - Birders Diary (which can apparently import data from Avisys) a=
nd an on-line one, Birdstack, if you like your data in the &quot;cloud&quot=
;.<br>

Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Randy Lauff <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D=