[NatureNS] birds on radar

From: Hubcove@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 07:11:02 EDT
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

-------------------------------1253358662

While not a radar expert, I have found that birds show up quite well on
high frequency marine navigation radars if they are close and the radar is
tweaked. There are high frequency avian radars at many major airports
specifically designed to pick up flocks of birds and that is what they may have
used. Weather radars are I believe for the most part Pulse doppler
specifically  designed to pick up moving precipitation.
Peter Stow
Hubbards

-------------------------------1253358662

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6001.18294" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY=
: Arial"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>While not a radar expert, I have found that birds show up quite well=
 on=20
high frequency marine navigation radars if they are close and the radar is=
=20
tweaked. There are high frequency avian radars at many major airports=20
specifically designed to pick up flocks of birds and that is what they may=
 have=20
used. Weather radars are I believe for the most part Pulse doppler specifi=
cally=20
designed to pick up moving precipitation.</DIV>
<DIV>Peter Stow</DIV>
<DIV>Hubbards</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>