[NatureNS] birds on radar

Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 07:42:16 -0400
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_syvVIm5dhpFoaEsjiLUHQA)

I remember years ago seeing a movie about meteorology which showed a
radar signal caused by birds in England soaring on the "cold nose" (or
"gust front") of a thunderstorm, where they were feeding on insects
lifted by approaching storm.

Since that time, Doppler weather radar has become much more precise,
and will show signatures of large numbers of migrating birds.  Here is
an article which mentions this:
http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/factshts/2005-3067.pdf

and another on "Radar Ornithology": http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx?MenuItemID=157&&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

and another report: http://www.fort.usgs.gov/Products/Publications/22018/22018.pdf

and still another: http://www.fort.usgs.gov/Products/Publications/21468/21468.pdf

On 18 Sep 2009, at 9:05 PM, Chris Callaghan/Andy Moir wrote:

> There was a very interesting segment tonight on Discovery Channel's
> Daily Planet, about the millions of birds showing up on radar moving
> south out of Ontario.  They were talking about millions of birds
> moving.  However, when I look at the radar shots available from
> Environment Canada, I don't see anything like they were
> showing.Anybody have any idea where they got their radar shots, and
> how they were doctored to show birds, and not precipitation?
> Andy in Freeport

--Boundary_(ID_syvVIm5dhpFoaEsjiLUHQA)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I remember years ago seeing a =
movie about meteorology which showed a radar signal caused by birds in =
England soaring on the "cold nose" (or "gust front") of a thunderstorm, =
where they were feeding on insects lifted by approaching =
become much more precise, and will show signatures of large numbers of =
migrating birds. &nbsp;Here is an article which mentions =
this:</div><div><a =
href=3D"http://www.nwrc.usgs.gov/factshts/2005-3067.pdf">http://www.nwrc.u=
on "Radar Ornithology":&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx?MenuItemID=3D157&amp;&amp;AspxAut=
oDetectCookieSupport=3D1">http://www.gcbo.org/default.aspx?MenuItemID=3D15=
d another report:&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.fort.usgs.gov/Products/Publications/22018/22018.pdf">ht=
tp://www.fort.usgs.gov/Products/Publications/22018/22018.pdf</a></div><div=
href=3D"http://www.fort.usgs.gov/Products/Publications/21468/21468.pdf">ht=
tp://www.fort.usgs.gov/Products/Publications/21468/21468.pdf</a></div><div=
Callaghan/Andy Moir wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
bgcolor=3D"#ffffff"><div><font size=3D"2" face=3D"Arial">There was a =
very interesting segment tonight on Discovery Channel's Daily Planet, =
about the millions of birds showing up on radar moving south out of =
Ontario.&nbsp; They were talking about millions of birds moving.&nbsp; =
However, when I look at the radar shots available from Environment =
Canada, I don't see anything like they were showing.Anybody have any =
idea where they got their radar shots, and how they were doctored to =
face=3D"Arial">Andy in =

--Boundary_(ID_syvVIm5dhpFoaEsjiLUHQA)--