[NatureNS] RE: lack of insects?

From: "Lance Laviolette" <corvuscorax@sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:13:35 -0400

Randy Lauff asked: Comments?

Declining numbers of insects is currently thought to be the main reason
behind the large decrease in Canada of aerial foraging birds such as
swallows. It is also the reason being given behind the decline in House
Sparrow numbers (in North America and Europe at least). There are still
areas where insect numbers are high and I'm sure several people reading this
email are saying to themselves "What are they talking about? The mosquitoes
were terrible this year". However, the large picture is a decline. Some
species of birds have certainly changed their behaviour accordingly. For
example, in some locations, Tree Swallows which use to gather in large
numbers on power lines near their nesting areas now stay only a brief time
before moving to marshes, waterways etc. where insects are still abundant.
So instead of hundreds of swallows sitting together on a line, one may only
see a few family groups, and they only stay for a few days before moving on.

All the best,

Lance

Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario