[NatureNS] Of Dobsonflies and Jack-in-the-Pulpits

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:47:29 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001485f9458a6aa6e4046d0e4b91

Or should that be Jacks-in-the-Pulpit?

Today I was out in the field with Amanda, one of my students. To get to our
study site, we have to wade up a stream over 900 m (we can go on land part
of the time). It's a pretty cool area of the county known as "The Keppoch".
We had been told of a significant hemlock stand on Crown land, and we just
got to the edge of it.

Along the way, we found a dozen or so Jacks-in-their-Pulpits...a plant that
heretofore I have only seen in Antigonish County once in the last twenty
years. Both of us were impressed with seeing "so many". As we walked, I
noticed the odd "moth", only to realize, after seeing one perched, that they
were dobsonflies. Very cool.

On our way back, I saw something that totally shocked me. I had hiked these
hills before, but not for ages, and not via this route. I turned to Amanda
and said, "Have I been here before?" She gave me a worried, perplexed look
and said, "We came in this way..."

"No, no...before this, have I been here before?"

"Uuuuhhhh..."

I pointed up into a tree where the remnants of one of the first nest boxes I
ever put up was still hanging. I had made this box out of old, thin, plywood
microscope boxes from work, and despite painting them, they came apart after
one year (yes Ken, these are from the same batch in the Highlands all those
years ago). Wow...what a freaky run in that was...I hadn't been back to that
spot in over 10 years.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--001485f9458a6aa6e4046d0e4b91

Or should that be Jacks-in-the-Pulpit?<br clear=3D"all">
et to our study site, we have to wade up a stream over 900 m (we can go on =
land part of the time). It&#39;s a pretty cool area of the county known as =
&quot;The Keppoch&quot;. We had been told of a significant hemlock stand on=
 Crown land, and we just got to the edge of it.</div>

 that heretofore I have only seen in Antigonish County once in the last twe=
nty years. Both of us were impressed with seeing &quot;so many&quot;. As we=
 walked, I noticed the odd &quot;moth&quot;, only to realize, after seeing =
one perched, that they were dobsonflies. Very cool.</div>

these hills before, but not for ages, and not via this route. I turned to A=
manda and said, &quot;Have I been here before?&quot; She gave me a worried,=
 perplexed look and said, &quot;We came in this way...&quot;</div>

oxes I ever put up was still hanging. I had made this box out of old, thin,=
 plywood microscope=A0boxes from work, and despite painting them, they came=
 apart after one year (yes Ken, these are from the same batch in the Highla=
nds all those years ago). Wow...what a freaky run in that was...I hadn&#39;=
t been back to that spot in over 10 years.</div>

--001485f9458a6aa6e4046d0e4b91--