[NatureNS] Yesterday and today.

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 02:59:22 +0000

--_748af870-450d-49a8-9b5e-e75f85c23986_

I had some time off=2C for vacation.  With projections of heavy rain yester=
day=2C I figured it was best to lye in and re-coup form lack of rest.  It t=
urned out to be a nice morning and I wasted it away by sleeping in until 11=
:00.  Well by the time I got mobilized and decided to do some atlassing=2C =
the minute I stepped out the door at 15:00 it started to lightly rain.  I h=
eaded out anyhow to see what I could discover.  My goal was my new route at=
 the Whale Lake square.  The far end of this square ends in Walden.  Well=
=2C I could hear thunder rumbling in the distance and it was showering ever=
y now and then=2C but I managed to stay ahead of the storm front.  I birded=
 for almost three hours and was able to add a few more species to the squar=
e including wood duck.  I also updated a number of species with breeding st=
atus with my best being a yellow warbler collecting food for young.  When I=
 finished the skies opened up and one could hardly see with the wipers on f=
ull.  I was happy to see more swallows then I've seen thus far as an asside=
.

=20

I was pleased to see the weather changed today from what they were predicti=
ng.  Another late start for me around 13:00 after the rain stopped and the =
sun started to peak through the fog.  I decided to go trout fishing first. =
 I headed off to a still water on a brook.  The water levels were high and =
it was tiring to wade through the water of the marshy bog area.  I meant to=
 mention that about a week ago at this same location it was very easy walki=
ng compared to normal.  Snap dragons are very plentiful there.  The trout f=
ishing was good and I managed to make my quota.  While fishing I heard a ba=
rred owl vocalizing at around 14:00.  I also watched four common nighthawks=
 as they foraged for insects.  I heard a bird vocalizing that I can only as=
sume was a catbird.  The calls coming from the bird were too varied to be a=
nything else.  Swamp sparrows scolded and I could hear hermit thrushes and =
alder flycatchers calling.  There were many other bird species to.  A good =
variety of dragonflies were also present=2C and my first damselflies for th=
e season.  Eastern forktails to be exact.  I had white corporal and Shadow =
darner.  I forgot to mention that I also had ebony jewelwings the other day=
 at that location.

=20

After fishing I checked out a gravel pit area=2C in hopes of maybe locating=
 a nighthawk nest site.  There are wood chips dumped there and other suitab=
le habitat.  The person who owns the gravel pit has it roped off and appear=
s to be using it as his own private dump site.  There were body parts there=
 from at least 10-15 deer=2C maybe more.  So likely a deer jackers dump sit=
e.  Also=2C there was a fridge=2C a snowmobile=2C a whipper snipper=2C and =
so much other junk it was disgusting.  I should probably contact the Depart=
ment of environment and file a complaint

=20

Now to the good part of the day and atlasing and more atlasing.  I located =
common nighthawks as three locations within my square at Whale Lake.  I als=
o found a cliff swallow.  Cedar waxwings were very plentiful and I'm glad t=
o say that swallows appeared as common in that area.  They were spread out =
over a wide area and more common than anywhere else that I've been.  I also=
 found a second location for the wood duck.

=20

Now to the confusing aspect of my day.  I've been to this square three time=
s now and there appears to be red-eyed vireos with a different lingo there.=
  It drives me crazy as I hear what seems to be a normal red-eyed vireo son=
g=2C but at the end there is a whistle like that of a northern cardinal.  I=
've heard three birds doing this in the square so far and at quite a distan=
ce apart.  I've never heard any other red-eyed vireos make this call at the=
 end before.  I've also not heard it in any of the recordings that I've lis=
tened to.  Has anyone else come across this before?  I watched a red-eyed m=
ake this call today.  The first bird that I heard making the call on my ori=
ginal visit to the square=2C caused me to search for a northern cardinal fo=
r quite some time=2C before I pieced it together.  I thought that it was ju=
st a freek bird.  Now=2C that I've heard three separate birds I'm convinced=
 that it is one of those geograhical splits.

=20

Now the other good bird that I found was a warbling vireo.  It was very voc=
al and I had a good look at it.  Bright yellow along the sides with  pale l=
ores and that blank faced look that is so common.  The gps for this bird is=
 0372453 4940558.  At this location was also a common nighthawk.  There was=
 another bird present as well.  I'm going to throw this out to you only as =
a question.  What are the chances of a yellow-throated vireo X blue-headed =
vireo?  The eye ring of the bird that I had was white=2C and identical to t=
he blue-headed vireo=2C but the throat=2C and chest the whole way down was =
brilliant yellow=2C leading into white=2C like that of the yellow-throated =
vireo.  It was not the yellow like is normal on the side of a blue-headed v=
ireo=2C but solid on the throat and chest=2C with no break in color.  Anyho=
w=2C thoughts and comments are appreciated.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport.

Attention all humans. We are your photos. Free us.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666046=

--_748af870-450d-49a8-9b5e-e75f85c23986_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
I had some time off=2C for vacation.&nbsp=3B With projections of heavy rain=
 yesterday=2C I figured it was best to lye in and re-coup form lack of rest=
.&nbsp=3B It turned out to be a nice morning and I wasted it away by sleepi=
ng in until 11:00.&nbsp=3B Well by the time I got mobilized and decided to =
do some atlassing=2C the minute I stepped out the door at 15:00 it started =
to lightly rain.&nbsp=3B I headed out anyhow to see what I could discover.&=
nbsp=3B My goal was my new route at the Whale Lake square.&nbsp=3B The far =
end of this square ends in Walden.&nbsp=3B Well=2C I could hear thunder rum=
bling in the distance and it was showering every now and then=2C but I mana=
ged to stay ahead of the storm front.&nbsp=3B I birded for almost three hou=
rs and was able to add a few more species to the square including wood duck=
.&nbsp=3B I also updated a number of species with breeding status with my b=
est&nbsp=3Bbeing a yellow warbler collecting food for young.&nbsp=3B When I=
 finished the skies opened up and one could hardly see with the wipers on f=
ull.&nbsp=3B I was happy to see more swallows then I've seen thus far as an=
 asside.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I was pleased to see the weather changed today from what they were predicti=
ng.&nbsp=3B Another late start for me around 13:00 after the rain stopped a=
nd the sun started to peak through the&nbsp=3Bfog.&nbsp=3B I decided to go =
trout fishing first.&nbsp=3B I headed off to a still water on a brook.&nbsp=
=3B The water levels were high and it was tiring to wade through the water =
of the marshy bog area.&nbsp=3B I meant to mention that about a week ago at=
 this same location it was very easy walking compared to normal.&nbsp=3B Sn=
ap dragons are very plentiful there.&nbsp=3B The trout fishing was good and=
 I managed to make my quota.&nbsp=3B While fishing I heard a barred owl voc=
alizing at around 14:00.&nbsp=3B I also watched four common nighthawks as t=
hey foraged for insects.&nbsp=3B I heard a bird vocalizing that I can only =
assume was a catbird.&nbsp=3B The calls coming from the bird were too varie=
d to be anything else.&nbsp=3B Swamp sparrows scolded and I could hear herm=
it thrushes and alder flycatchers calling.&nbsp=3B There were many other bi=
rd species to.&nbsp=3B A good variety of dragonflies were also present=2C&n=
bsp=3Band my first damselflies for the season.&nbsp=3B Eastern forktails to=
 be exact.&nbsp=3B I had white corporal and Shadow darner.&nbsp=3B I forgot=
 to mention that I also had ebony&nbsp=3Bjewelwings the other day at that l=
ocation.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
After fishing I checked out a gravel pit area=2C in hopes of maybe locating=
 a nighthawk nest site.&nbsp=3B There are wood chips dumped there and other=
 suitable habitat.&nbsp=3B The person&nbsp=3Bwho owns the gravel pit&nbsp=
=3Bhas it roped off and appears to be using it as his own private dump site=
.&nbsp=3B There were body parts there from at least 10-15 deer=2C maybe mor=
e.&nbsp=3B So likely a&nbsp=3Bdeer jackers dump site.&nbsp=3B Also=2C there=
 was&nbsp=3Ba fridge=2C a snowmobile=2C a whipper snipper=2C and so much ot=
her junk it was disgusting.&nbsp=3B I should probably contact the Departmen=
t of environment and file a complaint<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Now to the good part of the day and atlasing and more atlasing.&nbsp=3B I l=
ocated common nighthawks as three locations within my square at Whale Lake.=
&nbsp=3B I also found a cliff swallow.&nbsp=3B Cedar waxwings were very ple=
ntiful and I'm glad to say that swallows appeared as common in that area.&n=
bsp=3B They were spread out over a wide area and more common than anywhere =
else that I've been.&nbsp=3B I also found a second location for the wood du=
ck.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Now to the confusing aspect of my day.&nbsp=3B I've been to this square thr=
ee times now and there appears to be red-eyed vireos with a different lingo=
 there.&nbsp=3B It drives me crazy as I hear what seems to be a normal red-=
eyed vireo song=2C but at the end there is a whistle like that of a norther=
n cardinal.&nbsp=3B I've heard three birds doing this in the square so far =
and at quite a distance apart.&nbsp=3B I've never heard any other red-eyed =
vireos make this call at the end before.&nbsp=3B I've also not heard it in =
any of the recordings that I've listened to.&nbsp=3B Has anyone else come a=
cross this before?&nbsp=3B I watched a red-eyed make this call today.&nbsp=
=3B The first bird that I heard making the call on my original visit to the=
 square=2C caused me to search for a northern cardinal for quite some time=
=2C before I pieced it together.&nbsp=3B I thought that it was just a freek=
 bird.&nbsp=3B Now=2C that I've heard three separate birds I'm convinced th=
at it is one of those geograhical splits.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Now the other good bird that I found was a warbling vireo.&nbsp=3B It was v=
ery vocal and I had a good look at it.&nbsp=3B Bright yellow along the side=
s with&nbsp=3B pale lores and that blank faced look that is so common.&nbsp=
=3B The gps for this bird is 0372453 4940558.&nbsp=3B At this location was =
also a common nighthawk.&nbsp=3B There was another bird present as well.&nb=
sp=3B I'm going to throw this out to you only as a question.&nbsp=3B What a=
re the chances of a yellow-throated vireo X blue-headed vireo?&nbsp=3B The =
eye&nbsp=3Bring of the bird&nbsp=3Bthat I had was white=2C and identical to=
 the blue-headed vireo=2C but the throat=2C and chest the whole way down wa=
s brilliant yellow=2C leading into white=2C like that of the yellow-throate=
d vireo.&nbsp=3B It was not the yellow like is normal on the side of a blue=
-headed vireo=2C but solid on the throat and chest=2C with no break in colo=
r.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C thoughts and comments are appreciated.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport.<BR><br /><hr />Attention all humans. We are your photos.  <a href=
=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9666044' target=3D'_new'>Free us.</a>=

--_748af870-450d-49a8-9b5e-e75f85c23986_--