[NatureNS] migrating blue jays?? at Cape Split on Sunday

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 18:55:40 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Christie <MarysPt@nbnet.nb.ca>
Cc: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>

At 4:25 PM -0300 6/2/09, James W. Wolford wrote:

>A small bunch of us did the Cape Split walk on Sunday, and all along
>the trail we noticed the moving shadows at our feet -- I looked up a
>few times to note blue-jay-sized birds in flocks of perhaps 10 or
>so,  all moving from east to west along the Cape.  We didn't see
>anything  like that when we got to the tip of the Cape.
>
>Has anyone noticed movements of blue jays in the province or of
>similar-sized birds -- I really don't know what kinds of birds were
>moving but there were certainly multiple flocks during the morning.

Jim,

I think what you saw were BLUE JAYS [Geai bleu], because right now a
lot of jays are on the move. I believe they are last year's young
that went south into the USA for the winter.  Here on the north side
of Chignecto Bay this movement is noticeable every spring between
roughly the second week of May and the second week of June. Size of
the flight varies from year to year, perhaps in relation to the
success of the previous breeding season.

Small to large (100+/-) flocks stop to feed in my yard or just fly
past, mostly heading east, out over Mary's Point towards Grindstone
Island and Cape Maringouin. Once they reach the Isthmus of Chignecto,
some might turn southwestward towards Cape Maringouin and the
Annapolis Valley, while others continue east or northeast.

At 8:30 a.m., on Friday, a flock of about 100 stopped and fed for
5-10 minutes in my yard before proceeding east.

David

--

David Christie
Mary's Point, Harvey, Albert Co., New Brunswick, Canada