[NatureNS] Martinique Beach May 26 Piping Plovers

Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 07:49:27 -0300
From: BSC NS Plovers <nsplovers@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000325579fd69daebd046b0ad468

Hi Ulli and others,
Thanks, Ulli, for passing on your observations and all others who send out
info about beach birds throughout the year.

Just wanted to follow up with a quick report on the status of Piping Plovers
at Martinique Beach this year.

Staff and volunteers from Bird Studies Canada and NS Dept. Natural Resources
are monitoring plovers and protecting their nests and nesting habitat.  As
of Sunday, 24 May I observed two pairs: one incubating and one scraping.
Based on Ulli's report, it's possible that another pair has shown up (I'm
heading out there this morning, so I'll check again).

Last year there were three pairs and only one nest hatched due to nest
predation.  In response, we are now using predator exclosures to protect
nests.  A predator exclosure is wire fencing that encircles the
eggs (diameter~3 m), large enough to allow the plover to walk in and out to
and from its nest, but small enough to prevent most predators from
entering.  There's a mesh top to prevent avian predators, like crows, from
entering from above.  Presently, exclosures are the only tool we have to
decrease predation of nests in NS.  They are used widely across N. America
to increase hatch success of plover nests.

We have signage around the nesting area, but if you see someone approaching
or lingering near a predator exclosure, please let them know that it's best
for the plovers to stay clear of the area.  Simple message is "please stay
on the wet sand."

Appreciate your interest and feel free to contact me with any questions or
if you'd like to get involved.  We will be training volunteers throughout
June.

Thanks,
Sue Abbott, Bird Studies Canada (nsplovers@gmail.com; 426-4055)

--
NS Piping Plover Conservation Program
Learn more: www.bsc-eoc.org/volunteer/nsplover/

Bird Studies Canada
c/o 45 Alderney Dr., 16th floor
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 2N6

(902) 426-4055

--000325579fd69daebd046b0ad468

 out info about beach birds throughout the year.</div>
lovers at Martinique Beach=A0this year.</div>
ources are monitoring plovers and protecting their nests and nesting habita=
t.=A0 As of Sunday, 24 May=A0I observed=A0two pairs: one incubating and one=
 scraping.=A0 Based on Ulli&#39;s report, it&#39;s possible that another pa=
ir has shown up (I&#39;m heading out there this morning, so I&#39;ll check =
again).</div>

 predation.=A0 In response, we are now using predator exclosures to protect=
 nests.=A0 A predator exclosure is wire fencing that encircles the eggs=A0(=
diameter~3 m), large enough to allow the plover to walk in and out to and f=
rom its nest, but small enough to prevent=A0most predators from entering.=
=A0 There&#39;s a mesh top to prevent avian predators, like crows, from ent=
ering from above.=A0=A0Presently, exclosures are the=A0only tool we have to=
 decrease predation of nests in NS.=A0 They are used widely across N. Ameri=
ca to increase hatch success of plover nests.</div>

proaching or lingering near a predator=A0exclosure, please let them know th=
at it&#39;s best for the plovers to stay clear of the area.=A0=A0Simple mes=
sage is &quot;please stay on the wet sand.&quot;</div>

s or if you&#39;d like to=A0get involved.=A0 We will be training volunteers=
=A0throughout June.</div>
om">nsplovers@gmail.com</a>; 426-4055)</div>
tr">&lt;uhoeger@dal.ca&gt;</span> wro=
te:<br>
px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">On Tuesday after work I did a tr=
ip to Martinique Beach. Getting out of<br>Dartmouth and Cole Hbr was traffi=
cwise a pain in the .....<br>
he<br>beach (~6pm), somewhere between the last parking lot board walk and t=
I believe that there may be a nest in that area, as one plover was leaving =
the<br>beach to approach the more structured area well above the high water=
 line.<br>There he disappeared for a few seconds, just to head back to the =
beach a<br>
moment later. I guess I observed a pair playing tag team and switched duty<=
br>on the eggs.<br><br>A few years ago I have seen this happening from star=
t to finish and could<br>see the bird on the nest with the scope. Not this =
time.<br>
reason for my visit were the Sanderlings. =A0Missed those on the beach.<br>
Bad timing, as a flock of ~25 was flying over head towards the beach when I=
ed them<br>from the mudflats in the marsh. =A0Mid to High tide may be a bet=
ter time to try<br>
 floor<br>

--000325579fd69daebd046b0ad468--