[NatureNS] Martinique Beach May 26 Piping Plovers

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 23:27:16 -0300

On Tuesday after work I did a trip to Martinique Beach. Getting out of
Dartmouth and Cole Hbr was trafficwise a pain in the .....

On Martinique three Piping Plovers were foraging on the tidal edge on the
beach (~6pm), somewhere between the last parking lot board walk and the
big break in the dunes, well before the area with the signs.

I believe that there may be a nest in that area, as one plover was leaving the
beach to approach the more structured area well above the high water line.
There he disappeared for a few seconds, just to head back to the beach a
moment later. I guess I observed a pair playing tag team and switched duty
on the eggs.

A few years ago I have seen this happening from start to finish and could
see the bird on the nest with the scope. Not this time.

There is a nest on the back in a roped of area protected by a large cage.
Now lets hope for a good number of youngsters to fledge.

Main reason for my visit were the Sanderlings.  Missed those on the beach.
Bad timing, as a flock of ~25 was flying over head towards the beach when I
was pulling out of the parking lot.  The raising tide must have flushed them
from the mudflats in the marsh.  Mid to High tide may be a better time to try
for those ......

Ulli