[NatureNS] Barrington

From: "Roland McCormick" <roland.mccormick@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 22:04:52 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C9DFE0.53A2DB20

        Anyone who has read the life story of eels may be interested in =
knowing that this time of the year we usually have a number of eel traps =
in the mouth of the Barrington River below the bridge. At the same time =
we have people fishing for Kiack above the bridge. I think they still =
have the rule - no fishing on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I haen't heard =
how many they are catching, but I suspect the numbers are down because =
of the number of seals following them into the river. I have counted as =
many as 43 seals at one time - most of them the large variety.
        A  good  number of cormorants around today, and usually there =
are a couple of  osprey - we usually have three or four osprey nests in =
the area.
        Mention has been made of the decline in the number of chimney =
swifts in recent years. I wonder if this has anything to do with fewer =
large chimneys being built these days, and the destruction of many of =
the old ones. I also wonder how the swallows would compare in numbers. I =
can remember that seventy years ago it was not unusual to see flocks of =
fifty or more swallows on the electric light wires, something that is =
lacking now. I also remenber when I came to Barrington 45 years ago we =
always had a flock of sparrows below the dridge on the river. I haven't =
seen a swallow this year.

Roland.=20
        =20

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C9DFE0.53A2DB20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Anyone=20
who has read the life story of eels may be interested in knowing that =
this time=20
of the year we usually have a number of eel traps in the mouth of the =
Barrington=20
River below the bridge. At the same time we have people fishing for =
Kiack above=20
the bridge. I think they still have the rule - no fishing on Friday, =
Saturday or=20
Sunday. I haen't heard how many they are catching, but I suspect the =
numbers are=20
down because of the number of seals following them into&nbsp;the river. =
I have=20
counted as many as 43 seals at one time - most of them&nbsp;the large=20
variety.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A&nbsp;=20
good&nbsp; number of cormorants around today, and usually there are a =
couple=20
of&nbsp; osprey - we usually have three or four osprey nests in the=20
area.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Mention=20
has been made of the decline in the number of chimney swifts in recent =
years. I=20
wonder if this has anything to do with fewer large chimneys being built =
these=20
days, and the destruction of many of the old ones. I also wonder how the =

swallows would compare in numbers.&nbsp;I can remember that seventy =
years ago it=20
was not unusual to see flocks of fifty or more swallows on the electric =
light=20
wires, something that is lacking now. I also remenber when I came to =
Barrington=20
45 years ago we always had a flock of sparrows below the dridge on the =
river. I=20
haven't seen a swallow this year.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Roland.</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT=20
  face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C9DFE0.53A2DB20--