[NatureNS] Hartlen Point May 28 Golden Plover

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 21:55:08 -0300
CC: nS-RBA@yahoogroups.com

Hi,

I just got back from an evening trip to Hartlen Point.

Taking  photos of the Willets on the beach facing the harbour a shorebird
call of a different species got my attention.  One of the large plover species
flew in.  Never seen one before in full breeding plumage.

First impression: very golden colour. Given the evening light with the the low
sun colour may have been misleading here, but the bird didn't have the right
jizz for a Black-bellied Plover as well.

I was able to relocate, study and photograph the bird several times in the
rocks exposed by low tide. Well visible key fieldmarks observed on site were
confirmed on the few distant photographs I was able to obtain:
- all black undertail coverts
- dark cap, creating very strong contrast with the white head markings
- wing projection well beyond the tail

I am 100% convinced that this individual was indeed a AMERICAN
GOLDEN PLOVER.  Not sure how common and likely the occurrence of this
species is during Spring. Maybe someone could fill ion this detail.

Other birds noticed: Willets, Least Sandpiper, and a kindergarden of
Common Eiders (the first I've seen this year, 6 females and 30+ chicks).

Cheers

Ulli