[NatureNS] Taking the sting out of the sting

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 08:45:25 -0400

--Apple-Mail-2-894237148

I have been reading a bit about insect stings. The Bald-faced Hornet =20
and the Yellow Jacket are regarded as the most painful insects we are =20=

liked to encounter, although I do not know (and would hate to imagine) =20=

how this conclusion could be rigorously tested.  Some researchers have =20=

actually compiled a sting-scale of such things.  (For example, see: =
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_Sting_Pain_Index)

One article states that such remedies as baking soda are probably =20
ineffective: "placing large amounts of alkali near the sting site is =20
unlikely to produce a perfectly neutral pH to stop the pain.  Many =20
people do claim benefit from these home remedies, but it is doubtful =20
they have any real physical effect on how much a sting hurts or =20
continues hurting, the effect is probably related to rubbing the area =20=

or the mind perceiving benefit."  They even give references.  See: =
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee_sting

I have had that remedy used on bee stings, and it did not seem very =20
useful.  For stings of the Bald-faced hornet, however, it was =20
amazingly effective.  I was pulling weeds, and accidently grasped a =20
small, volunteer tree-seedling on which some Bald-faced Hornets  =20
(Dolichovespula maculata) were just starting a nest.  Two of them =20
alighted on my left forearm and began stinging.  Being of an =20
investigative turn of mind, I restrained myself from brushing them =20
away, the better to be able to observe their attack, and to get a =20
certain identification.  In this I was frustrated, because as they =20
injected their venom, they vibrated their bodies so that they looked =20
blurred.  As the pain increased, I finally knocked them off my arm, =20
and ran indoors for some baking soda.

When I used the baking soda, applied on a moistened paper towel, the =20
pain rather suddenly disappeared, and was replaced by a pleasurable =20
sensation.  Perhaps this was an example of the contrast of stimuli.  =20
Another remarkable thing is that I could find no marks, not even red =20
spots, indicating the points of injection.  =46rom this I concluded that =
=20
the venom had little effect on me except for its strong acidity, or =20
from some component whose activity was pH related.

=97 Paul Boyer

On 24 May 2009, at 6:13 PM, Ken MacAulay wrote:

> Growing up in Scotland, as kids we would use the leaves of the =20
> dock(en)
> plant to rub on nettle stings. We also put vinegar on bee/wasp =20
> stings.  I
> presume the acid somehow counteracted the venom.  We used to chew =20
> plantain
> leaves for refreshment - candies were still rationed till the early =20=

> fifties!
> Ken MacAulay
> Port Mouton, NS

--Apple-Mail-2-894237148

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I have been reading a bit about =
insect stings. The Bald-faced Hornet and the Yellow Jacket are regarded =
as the most painful insects we are liked to encounter, although I do not =
know (and would hate to imagine) how this conclusion could be rigorously =
tested. &nbsp;Some researchers have actually compiled a sting-scale of =
such things. &nbsp;(For example, see:&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt_Sting_Pain_Index)">http://en.=
article states that such remedies as baking soda are probably =
ineffective: "<span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"line-height: =
19px; ">placing large amounts of alkali near the sting site is unlikely =
to produce a perfectly neutral pH to stop the pain.<span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"line-height: 10px; =
">&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>Many people do claim benefit from these home =
remedies, but it is doubtful they have any real physical effect on how =
much a sting hurts or continues hurting, the effect is probably related =
to rubbing the area or the mind perceiving benefit." &nbsp;They even =
give references. =
r></div><div>I have had that remedy used on bee stings, and it did not =
seem very useful. &nbsp;For stings of the Bald-faced hornet, however, it =
was amazingly effective. &nbsp;I was pulling weeds, and accidently =
grasped a small, volunteer tree-seedling on which some Bald-faced =
Hornets &nbsp;(<span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-style: =
italic; font-weight: bold; line-height: 19px; "><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-weight: normal;">Dolichovespula =
maculata</span><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-weight: =
normal; font-style: normal;">)</span>&nbsp;<span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"font-style: normal; font-weight: =
normal; line-height: normal; ">were just starting a nest. &nbsp;Two of =
them alighted on my left forearm and began stinging. &nbsp;Being of an =
investigative turn of mind, I restrained myself from brushing them away, =
the better to be able to observe their attack, and to get a certain =
identification. &nbsp;In this I was frustrated, because as they injected =
their venom, they vibrated their bodies so that they looked blurred. =
&nbsp;As the pain increased, I finally knocked them off my arm, and ran =
indoors for some baking =
soda, applied on a moistened paper towel, the pain rather suddenly =
disappeared, and was replaced by a pleasurable sensation. &nbsp;Perhaps =
this was an example of the contrast of stimuli. &nbsp;Another remarkable =
thing is that I could find no marks, not even red spots, indicating the =
points of injection. &nbsp;=46rom this I concluded that the venom had =
little effect on me except for its strong acidity, or from some =
6:13 PM, Ken MacAulay wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div>Growing=
 up in Scotland, as kids we would use the leaves of the =
dock(en)<br>plant to rub on nettle stings. We also put vinegar on =
bee/wasp stings. &nbsp;I<br>presume the acid somehow counteracted the =
venom. &nbsp;We used to chew plantain<br>leaves for refreshment - =
candies were still rationed till the early fifties!<br>Ken =
MacAulay<