[NatureNS] Yellow jackets

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 19:24:25 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C9DBDC.153EE020

Maybe a stupid question... Is a yellow jacket just another name for a wasp??
liz

As for yellow jackets, they become especially aggressive as fall approaches.
A few years ago I was mowing, and came too near one of their underground
nests.  Several attacked me, and drove me into the house.  I waited inside
for about half an hour, and when I decided to get back to work, they were
still waiting for me at the door!  I had to use a different exit to go back
outside.

If stung, the best remedy I have found is to apply moistened baking soda to
site of the sting.  That also helps greatly with the stings of the hornets
who build those large, paper nests.  I once had a dog who was stung by them
several times on the nose, and the baking soda trick worked well for him,
too.  He seemed very appreciative for the relief.

— Paul

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C9DBDC.153EE020

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY=20
style=3D"WORD-WRAP: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Maybe a stupid question... Is a yellow jacket =
just another=20
name for a wasp??&nbsp;&nbsp;liz</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>........</FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>As for yellow jackets, they become especially aggressive as fall=20
approaches. &nbsp;A few years ago I was mowing, and came too near one of =
their=20
underground nests. &nbsp;Several attacked me, and drove me into the =
house.=20
&nbsp;I waited inside for about half an hour, and when I decided to get =
back to=20
work, they were still waiting for me at the door! &nbsp;I had to use a =
different=20
exit to go back outside.</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>If stung, the best remedy I have found is to apply moistened baking =
soda to=20
site of the sting. &nbsp;That also helps greatly with the stings of the =
hornets=20
who build those large, paper nests. &nbsp;I once had a dog who was stung =
by them=20
several times on the nose, and the baking soda trick worked well for =
him, too.=20
&nbsp;He seemed very appreciative for the relief.</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>=97 Paul</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A6_01C9DBDC.153EE020--