[NatureNS] Garter Snake

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 17:53:05 -0400

sometimes used poetically to refer to any venomous snake, none of whic

--Apple-Mail-3-667897642

Hello,

Come to think of it, I don't think that I have ever seen a black racer =20=

in the province, although I have seen them in Massachusetts and New =20
Jersey.  They are aptly named, for they are extremely fast, and =20
difficult to catch.

As for yellow jackets, they become especially aggressive as fall =20
approaches.  A few years ago I was mowing, and came too near one of =20
their underground nests.  Several attacked me, and drove me into the =20
house.  I waited inside for about half an hour, and when I decided to =20=

get back to work, they were still waiting for me at the door!  I had =20
to use a different exit to go back outside.

If stung, the best remedy I have found is to apply moistened baking =20
soda to site of the sting.  That also helps greatly with the stings of =20=

the hornets who build those large, paper nests.  I once had a dog who =20=

was stung by them several times on the nose, and the baking soda trick =20=

worked well for him, too.  He seemed very appreciative for the relief.

=97 Paul