[NatureNS] Catbird Repertoire, common terns and defensive RWBI

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 17:52:02 +0000

--_83229456-b2fc-4e1a-9b31-171a8ac31740_

Hi all:

=20

I finally got chance to do some hard core bird watching with beached bird s=
urveys mixed in-between.

=20

Of note today=2C my first spotted sandpipers=2C with one at Bachman's Beach=
 at Second Peninsula and another at Princes Inlet Drive.  Also=2C my first =
American redstart for the year=2C at Second Peninula.  Lots of chestnut-sid=
ed warbers at the Lunenburg Back Harbour Trail.  Lots of yellow warblers ev=
erywhere.  My first common yellow-throats although I've heard them at a num=
ber of locations.  This is the first day I've had time to stop and actually=
 see one.

=20

David Walmark told me about common terns back at Westhaver Beach and on Wes=
thaver Island yesterday.  I counted 56 there today.  A boat appeared to be =
doing a survey as I observed from afar.  I suspect BAYCAF.  David also ment=
ion common terns at Conrad's Island at Lower Rose Bay.

=20

Pat and I watched a gray catbird high on a bar tree branch and perched not =
more than a foot above this singing bird was a ruby-throated hummingbird.  =
I suspect that this sight is not one most have seen often.  Anyhow=2C I wou=
ld dearly like to know the repertoire of the catbird.  He went through I do=
 not know how many bird calls.  I heard both northern cardinal calls come f=
rom the bird perfectly.  The normal whistle call and then the lower bracket=
 call which goes down.  It did not do the tic call though.  I heard common =
grackle=2C European starling=2C and about four or five other bird species. =
 There were a lot of birds in the refrain that I could not identify.  I sus=
pect a good 15-20 species of birds in all before the refrain started anew.

=20

At Westhaver Beach in the pond by roadside=2C we observed  a very aggressiv=
e male red-winged blackbird.  There was a great blue heron moving through t=
he marsh grass alongside of the pond and the blackbird was pummeling the he=
ron on the back repeatedly.  Not a light strike=2C but agressive repeated s=
trikes.  Eventually the heron fled from the attack and was driven out of th=
e area.  This is the first time I've witnessed this action in all of the ti=
me I've spent out in the field.  It would have been great to have caught on=
 camera.  The calls of the catbird also would have been great to record=2C =
just to find out how many bird calls were actually there.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport.

One at a time or all at once? Get updates from your friends in one place.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9660827=

--_83229456-b2fc-4e1a-9b31-171a8ac31740_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I finally got chance to do some hard core bird watching with beached bird s=
urveys mixed in-between.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Of note today=2C my first spotted sandpipers=2C with one at Bachman's Beach=
 at Second Peninsula and another at Princes Inlet Drive.&nbsp=3B Also=2C my=
 first American redstart for the year=2C at Second Peninula.&nbsp=3B Lots o=
f chestnut-sided warbers at the Lunenburg Back Harbour Trail.&nbsp=3B Lots =
of yellow warblers everywhere.&nbsp=3B My first common yellow-throats altho=
ugh I've heard them at a number of locations.&nbsp=3B This is the first day=
 I've had time to stop and actually see one.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
David Walmark told me about common terns back at Westhaver Beach and on Wes=
thaver Island yesterday.&nbsp=3B I counted 56 there today.&nbsp=3B A boat a=
ppeared to be doing a survey as I observed from afar.&nbsp=3B I suspect BAY=
CAF.&nbsp=3B David also mention common terns at Conrad's Island at Lower Ro=
se Bay.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Pat and I watched a gray catbird high on a bar tree branch and perched not =
more than a foot above this singing bird was a ruby-throated hummingbird.&n=
bsp=3B I suspect that this sight is not one most have seen often.&nbsp=3B A=
nyhow=2C I would dearly like to know the repertoire of the catbird.&nbsp=3B=
 He went through I do not know how many bird calls.&nbsp=3B I heard both no=
rthern cardinal calls come from the bird perfectly.&nbsp=3B The normal whis=
tle call and then the lower bracket call which goes down.&nbsp=3B It did no=
t do the tic call though.&nbsp=3B I heard common grackle=2C European starli=
ng=2C and about four or five other bird species.&nbsp=3B There were a lot o=
f birds in the refrain that I could not identify.&nbsp=3B I suspect a good =
15-20 species of birds in all before the refrain started anew.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Westhaver Beach in the pond by roadside=2C we observed&nbsp=3B a very ag=
gressive male red-winged blackbird.&nbsp=3B There was a great blue heron mo=
ving through the marsh grass alongside of the pond and the blackbird was pu=
mmeling the heron on the back repeatedly.&nbsp=3B Not a light strike=2C but=
 agressive repeated strikes.&nbsp=3B Eventually the heron fled from the att=
ack and was driven out of the area.&nbsp=3B This is the first time I've wit=
nessed this action in all of the time I've spent out in the field.&nbsp=3B =
It would have been great to have caught on camera.&nbsp=3B The calls of the=
 catbird also would have been great to record=2C just to find out how many =
bird calls were actually there.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport.<BR><br /><hr />One at a time or all at once? Get updates from your=
 friends in <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9660825' target=3D=
'_new'>one place.</a></body>

--_83229456-b2fc-4e1a-9b31-171a8ac31740_--