[NatureNS] Black-necked Stilts

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 02:45:05 +0000

--_a07eaa8c-d5e8-4c0f-9877-370da3d143c1_

I was successful in seeing the two black-necked stilts in Liverpool this ev=
ening.  Thank you Peter and Dorothy.

=20

The birds flew and were vocal=2C at around 19:30.  Something spooked them. =
 Not me=2C but possibly two teenagers who were in the area.  The stilts fle=
w towards Brooklyn=2C low over the recycling property. =20

=20

There were 42 bufflehead there when I arrived.  I at first did not see the =
stilts and I looked long and hard on the inside the the inlet.  I only spot=
ted them as I walked back in from the point.  So I'm not sure if they had b=
een further out and the young people=2C when going to the shoreline on the =
rocks=2C scared them in or if they were there all along.  The one was on th=
e shoreline preening=2C and the other was walking along in the water.

=20

Another note=2C watch or check for ticks.  There seems to be an abundance o=
f them in that area.  I found three tiny wood ticks afterwards.  They crawl=
ed off my sweater onto my hands as I was eating at a restaurant.  These tic=
ks were definitely wood ticks=2C but the size of the writing part of a pen =
when pressed closest to the paper that you are writing on.

=20

James R. Hirtle

East LaHave

Reinvent how you stay in touch with the new Windows Live Messenger.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9650731=

--_a07eaa8c-d5e8-4c0f-9877-370da3d143c1_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
I was successful in seeing the two black-necked stilts in Liverpool this ev=
ening.&nbsp=3B Thank you Peter and Dorothy.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The birds flew and were vocal=2C at around 19:30.&nbsp=3B Something spooked=
 them.&nbsp=3B Not me=2C but possibly two teenagers who were in the area.&n=
bsp=3B The stilts flew towards Brooklyn=2C low over the recycling property.=
&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There were 42 bufflehead there when I arrived.&nbsp=3B I at first did not s=
ee the stilts and I looked long and hard on the inside the the inlet.&nbsp=
=3B I only spotted them as I walked back in from the point.&nbsp=3B So I'm =
not sure if they had been further out and the young people=2C when going to=
 the shoreline on the rocks=2C scared them in or if they were there all alo=
ng.&nbsp=3B The one was on the shoreline preening=2C and the other was walk=
ing along in the water.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Another note=2C watch or check for ticks.&nbsp=3B There seems to be an abun=
dance of them in that area.&nbsp=3B I found three tiny wood ticks afterward=
s.&nbsp=3B They crawled off my sweater onto my hands as I was eating at a r=
estaurant.&nbsp=3B These ticks were definitely wood ticks=2C but the size o=
f the writing part of a pen when pressed closest to the paper that you are =
writing on.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave<BR><br /><hr />Windows Live Messenger makes it easier to stay i=
n touch - <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9650731' target=3D'_=
new'>learn how!</a></body>

--_a07eaa8c-d5e8-4c0f-9877-370da3d143c1_--