[NatureNS] collar-banded Canada Goose in Port Williams

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:57:21 -0300
From: Eric Mills <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Judy,

That's a really nice find. As Ian has probably told you, it was banded in Greenland.

Did you notice anything in particular about the appearance of those birds? Breast colour? Size? Anything about bill size
and shape? Or did they look like the same old stuff?

Anne and I had few geese in the Valley last weekend, but there was a small flock of very small Canadas near Truro that
could have been Cackling Geese but that appeared to me to be just a bit too large and too large billed - by my thinking
likely the westen Lesser Canada Goose, B. c. parvipes.

I have to admit that only a few of us really get turned on by watching Canada Geese. But the more you look the more
interesting it gets.

All the best,

Eric