[NatureNS] smelt runs

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 10:58:41 -0300
From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Angela,

About smelt runs, I know nothing but here are some other things to consider
for the group.

Although we are coming to the end of the Maple Syrup season, there may still
be a few community suppers and boiling down operations still underway.
There was a newspaper insert a month or so ago, but possibly by doing an
internet search you may turn up some events.

For NS Bird Society or Halifax Field Naturalists field trips (non-members
are welcome), you might try visiting their web sites at:

http://nsbs.chebucto.org/

and http://hfn.chebucto.org/

Then click on field trips.

To discover trails near you, go to the Nova Scotia Health promotion web site
at:

http://www.trails.gov.ns.ca/

and click on Shared Use trails, then on the County name.

Note that in Hants Co., the Uniacke Estate trails are not mentioned (they
are great) and in Kings Co, the Cape Split hike is missing.  The latter
trail is one of the top hiking destinations in Nova Scotia, if you are up
for a 16-km round trip hike.  This walk is best during the last 2 weeks in
May when wild flowers and birds are at their peak!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
Halifax