[NatureNS] smelt runs

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 11:49:40 -0300
From: James King <jamesking@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Dear Ms. Joudrey,

About thirty years ago we used to dip smelt in the Kennetcook River
not far from Windsor between Scotch Village and the airport at
Stanley. In those days, at least, there would be many folks strung out
along the river in the evening waiting for the smelt to run. There
were many bonfires and it was as much a social occasion as a fishing
expedition. The smelt used to run around mid- to late-April once the
snow had gone and immediately after the gaspereau had their own run at
the beginning of April. All this was a long time ago and I don't know
if it's still done. But if so, it would be an experience to remember;
and a feed of fresh smelt are hard to beat.

Best regards,

James King

Sou'west House
273 Dauphinee Drive RR#2