[NatureNS] My First Owl Monitoring Route

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 04:49:43 +0000

--_f82d5aa7-5fc9-4de1-8d1c-ce7d8365e4cf_

I did my first owl monitoring route on the evening of 04/10/09.  Dorothy Po=
ole accompanied me and it was a perfect night for such.  I did my Lapland/L=
acona route and it was not bad.  We had six barred owls and one great horne=
d owl.  I believe this is my lowest count yet on this route and the owls we=
re all a lot further away than normal.  This is the first year ever that I =
did not get to see an owl on the count.  Anyhow=2C it was good to hear the =
owls.  It is also the quietest that I've ever run the route.  If not for a =
large amount of air traffic other than the owls and frogs and a few dogs no=
thing else would have been heard. =20

=20

Near the end on two of the stops vehicles with loud exhaust leaks did not h=
elp.  I must say though this was also the least amount of vehicular traffic=
 that I've had on the route.  Also=2C of special note=2C this was the first=
 year ever that we did not hear a large number of loons.  In fact the first=
 year that I've run the route that we did not hear one loon even.

=20

James R. Hirtle

East LaHave

Experience all of the new features=2C and Reconnect with your life.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9650730=

--_f82d5aa7-5fc9-4de1-8d1c-ce7d8365e4cf_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
I did my first owl monitoring route on the evening of 04/10/09.&nbsp=3B Dor=
othy Poole accompanied me and it was a perfect night for such.&nbsp=3B I di=
d my Lapland/Lacona route and it was not bad.&nbsp=3B We had six barred owl=
s and one great horned owl.&nbsp=3B I believe this is my lowest count yet o=
n this route and the owls were all a lot further away than normal.&nbsp=3B =
This is the first year ever that I did not get to see an owl on the count.&=
nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C it was good to hear the owls.&nbsp=3B It is also the quie=
test that I've ever run the route.&nbsp=3B If not for a large amount of air=
 traffic other than the owls and frogs and a few dogs nothing else would ha=
ve been heard.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Near the end on two of the stops vehicles with loud exhaust leaks did not h=
elp.&nbsp=3B I must say though this was also the least amount of vehicular =
traffic that I've had on the route.&nbsp=3B Also=2C of special note=2C this=
 was the first year ever that we did not hear a large number of loons.&nbsp=
=3B In fact the first year that I've run the route that we did not hear one=
 loon even.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave<BR><br /><hr />Tell the whole story with photos=2C right from y=
our Messenger window. <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9650732'=
 target=3D'_new'>Learn how!</a></body>

--_f82d5aa7-5fc9-4de1-8d1c-ce7d8365e4cf_--