[NatureNS] Owl Surveys and Frogs

Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 07:43:21 -0300
From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
Hi Pat and all
I thought Monday evening might be too windy or deterioate in weather before
an owl survey could be completed so instead I went out from dusk till near
mid-night in 4 Atlas squares that needed some night birds.
I did not hear any frogs in these squares ( Kenzieville, French River,
Avondale and Thorburn- all in Pictou Co).
On the other hand, AMERICAN WOODCOCK were in fine tune and over that time
period, I heard 32.
The habitat through the area was ideal for this species- multiple cut-overs,
but unfortunate for woodland birds.  Dusk in Pictou Co. is about 8 p.m. amd
an ideal time to be out listening for Woodcock. Many atlas squares lack this
species, which must be more common than indicated on the atlas maps. Maybe a
few more people might consider a drive to some squares that lack this
species.
 I heard 4  single BARRED OWLS and a pair of GREAT HORNED OWLS. The owls
were calling on their own. I tried calling Boreal, Saw-whet and Long-eared
Owls, but no response in about 15-20 stops. I nearly hit a beaver  crossing
the road , but fortunately it made its way across wothout any need for me to
call a Member of Parliament!
 cheers and lets get out atlassing!
Ken