[NatureNS] Re: [NS-RBA] Ipswitch Sparrow @ Chebucto Head, and Snowy Owl carcass....

From: "Ulli Hoeger" <uhoeger@DAL.CA>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:02:51 -0300
CC: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Saturday late afternoon, when the fog finally had lifted, I had another
chance to see one of the Snowy Owls at Hartlen Point.  Liz Doull pointed it
out to me as it was sitting in the fenced enclosure on the golf course close
to the club house.  With a quick binocular scan from the road I would have
likely missed it.  However, it took off twice within the enclosure -maybe
going for a snack- during our time viewing it?.
Eventually, after Liz left- it perched on the fence for a moment.  First distant
impression: IT didn't look to good.  Ruffed up and sloppy groomed, wet
looking breast feathers.  When it took off for good I had a chance to take a
quick shoot from the hip (bugger ignored me and looked the other way).
The picture shows a pretty worn out / worn down coat, damaged tail
feathers, reinforcing my first impression of an individual that is looking back
on a rough time, maybe lucky to have barely survived the past couple of
months.  I will post a link to the photo later, maybe someone can offer a
more educated evaluation of the bird's physical state.

Ulli