[NatureNS] Snow & deer

From: "David Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:55:22 -0300

Dear All,            Mar 29, 2009
    At about 5:05 pm today a large deer (prints 2.75" wide) sailed through a
narrow gap between an empty rum barrel & the front porch at a brisk clip in
spite of having just run through deep snow and up a steep bank. It was
making a bee-line for the nearest woods and had presumably been startled by
something or someone.

    We frequently have deer in the yard at night, especially when there is
some treat in the garden, but a daytime visit probably is some measure of
how difficult woods travel is currently.

    I was in North Alton briefly today to split some wood and there is still
more than 2' of snow in places. Very tough for deer.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville