[NatureNS] Signs of spring

From: "Andrew Steeves" <andrew@gaspereau.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 17:05:59 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_03CD_01C9B090.A2069790

Re: [NatureNS] Signs of springI took the dogs and one of my sons into =
Little River Falls today. Though the snow is deep in the woods, it's =
well settled down and makes for easy walking, except for the occasional =
air pocket in and around deadfalls and low brush. Every once in a while =
I suddenly found myself in grainy snow up over my knees.

As well as CHICKADEES and both a HAIRY WOODPECKER and a PILEATED =
WOODPECKER, we had an excellent look at a fast-moving SNOWSHOE HARE =
which crossed our path when were were moving through an evergreen =
thicket. This is the first time my son had seen one while walking in the =
woods, although he's learned to spot their tracks pretty well. This hare =
seemed to be changing colour already, as there was quite a brownish tint =
coming through its white coat. They always look like they're flying to =
me, almost as if in arrested motion while in the air and all torqued =
spring when they touch down and propel themselves onward.

The other sure sign of spring was my son and I, comfortable and warm in =
the snowy woods in our shirtsleeves.

And I notice that the ice I walked so boldly out upon at White Rock last =
weekend with my canoe is now much reduced, overrun with water, and no =
temptation to me at all.=20

Andrew Steeves
Wolfville, NS
------=_NextPart_000_03CD_01C9B090.A2069790

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Re: [NatureNS] Signs of spring</TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>BLOCKQUOTE {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
DL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
UL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
OL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
LI {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6001.18203" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I took&nbsp;the dogs and one of my sons&nbsp;into =
Little River=20
Falls today. Though the snow is deep in the woods, it's =
well&nbsp;settled down=20
and makes for easy walking, except for the occasional air pocket in and =
around=20
deadfalls and low brush. Every once in a while I suddenly found myself =
in grainy=20
snow up over my knees.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As well as CHICKADEES and both a&nbsp;HAIRY =
WOODPECKER and=20
a&nbsp;PILEATED WOODPECKER, we had an excellent look at a fast-moving =
SNOWSHOE=20
HARE which crossed our path when were were moving through an=20
evergreen&nbsp;thicket. This is the first time my son had seen one while =
walking=20
in the woods, although he's learned to spot their tracks pretty well.=20
This&nbsp;hare seemed to be changing colour already, as there was quite =
a=20
brownish tint coming through its white coat. They always look like =
they're=20
flying to me, almost as if&nbsp;in arrested motion while in the air and =
all=20
torqued spring when they touch down and&nbsp;propel themselves=20
onward.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The other sure sign of spring was&nbsp;my son and=20
I,&nbsp;comfortable and warm in the snowy woods in our=20
shirtsleeves.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>And I notice that&nbsp;the ice I walked so boldly =
out upon at=20
White Rock last weekend with my canoe is now much reduced, overrun with =
water,=20
and no temptation to me at all. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Andrew Steeves</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Wolfville, NS</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_03CD_01C9B090.A2069790--