[NatureNS] Western Kingbird, western Fox Sparrow in Halifax south end

From: <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 9:32:54 -0500

      Yesterday during the Halifax-Dartmouth Christmas Bird Count, Laurel Banks discovered a WESTERN KINGBIRD in the Tupper Grove/Prince Arthur Street area of south end Halifax.  She initially saw the Western Kingbird flying with a small flock of starlings.
       Late in the day she was able to relocate the bird, and photograph it, as it apparently prepared to roost in a Euonymous bush at 1813 Armview Terrace (around the corner from The Pebble B&B).   Laurel commented that the bird seemed unnaturally tame and was probably weakened by starvation.

	A Fox Sparrow appeared briefly with it at the latter location.  Laurel was not able to study it well, but had the impression that it was dark brown, unlike our usual rusty Fox Sparrows, and thought it might be one of the western races.

	I looked for both birds this morning before going to work, without success.  It was very windy there along the Northwest Arm and the sun had not yet broken through the clouds.  In the afternoon, when that area warms up, would be the best time to look.   I walked the area from Prince Arthur Street,  around Tupper Grove, to Armview Crescent, and Armview Terrace.

	Directions:  Drive through the Armdale Roundabout/Rotary and head up Quinpool Road.  Armview Crescent is the first street on the right, immediately after the turn-off to Horseshoe Island Park.  Tupper Grove, Armview Terrace, and Prince Arthur Street all branch off Armview Crescent.  Watch out for the speed bumps!

	Patricia L. Chalmers
	Halifax