[NatureNS] New York Aster flowers?

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:17:23 -0300
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Thanks Ann, Ron, for the confirmation, which is what I was after.

I couldn't make Ron's link work, but the Symphyotrichum genus name change is
confirmed if you go to (e.g.) the USDA site
plants.usda.gov
then plug Symphyotrichum into the search box, which brings up a page in which
the former name Aster is given as a synonym for the species in question.

I can't track it now, but earlier today I read somewhere on line that
taxonomic
experts had decided that the N. American asters were sufficiently
distinct from
the European species that they deserved to be moved to a different
genus, while
the Europeans, discovered first, got to retain the original genus name of
Aster.
Thanks again,
Steve
***********************************
Quoting Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com>:
> Hello Anne,
>
> My understanding is that *Symphyotrichum novi-belgii
> *<http://www.cbif.gc.ca/pls/itisca/next?v_tsn=566335&taxa=&p_format=&p_ifx=cbif&p_lang=>is
> the curretnly acepted scientific name for this species.  See:
> http://www.cbif.gc.ca/pls/itisca/next?v_tsn=522227&taxa=&p_king=every&p_string=containing&p_ifx=cbif&p_lang
> =
>
> Ron Arsenault
> Memramcook, N.B.
>
> 2008/10/29 Anne Mills <ocotillo@ns.sympatico.ca>
>
>> The flowers are Aster novi-belgii, New York Aster.  Cheers, Anne
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Shaw" <srshaw@dal.ca>

>>> Halifax